Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

DS is 6, DD is 8 weeks... When to have #3?

(2 Posts)
Letmeeatcakecakecake Sun 14-Jun-15 20:00:34

Hey!

I know I defiantly want three children.

My eldest is nearly 6, and I had my daughter 8 weeks ago. I know I want DD and my future number 3 to have a small ago gap but the question is... How small?

I have a 3 bed house, so 2 and 3 would have to share a room, if they're the same sex then no problem but if they're not, then I need the age gap to be as small as possible between 1 and 3 so sharing a room with a young child isn't so hellish for a future teenage boy.

Has anyone here had 2 children with a very small age gap between? Can I have pros and cons please? If you became pregnant within a few months of giving birth, how did you find the pregnancy? Did it perhaps interfere with your bonding and enjoyment of the elder one? How was handling pregnancy and a newborn with a lively toddler? Is it better to pop out a newborn before the elder one can even walk??

newbian Mon 15-Jun-15 02:58:52

Both NHS and US CDC recommend spacing pregnancies 12-18 months apart at minimum to reduce health risks to mother and baby. Apparently women who give birth within 12 months of a previous birth have a much higher risk of preterm labor.

www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/04/women-premature-birth-second-child-quickly

So based on the guidance you should wait to get pregnant until your current baby is about 9/10 months old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now