Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How effective was your tens machine?

(38 Posts)
coneywonder Sat 13-Jun-15 16:30:37

Hi ladies,

Currently weighing up whether it's worse hiring/buying a tens machine for early labour?

I'd like to hear about whether they worked for you and which one you went for if that's ok?

Thanks

Athenaviolet Sat 13-Jun-15 16:32:08

I used one. Yeah it was good. Think I got it from a chemist.

LillyBugg Sat 13-Jun-15 16:33:19

I hired one from my local maternity unit for £5. I feel like the only thing it did was distract me rather than relieve pain. I perhaps started using it too late though, as my contractions went from fine to not fine in a matter of seconds (waters breaking). It kept me occupied in the frantic trip to the hospital! But when I got there I distinctly remember shouting 'get this bloody thing OFF ME!!!'

kavv0809 Sat 13-Jun-15 16:35:38

I loved it. Familiarise yourself with it first so you know how to increase it etc but I thought it was great, it got me through most of my contractions

LillyBugg Sat 13-Jun-15 16:36:58

Oh yes that's good advice! Youtubing whilst contracting wasn't ideal.

coneywonder Sat 13-Jun-15 16:37:05

Haha oh right okay. Yeah I've heard they are a distraction more than anything else too.

I will look into whether I can hire one for that cheap!

Hopelass Sat 13-Jun-15 16:38:09

I borrowed one and it was a great distraction for the first few hours of early labour

RolyPolierThanThou Sat 13-Jun-15 16:39:59

I didnt think it did much until he pads came off and I realised it DID work.

Also the boost button (which you use during a contraction) felt like a thousand tiny bee stings for the first second and then felt like a pleasant back scratch.

I only realised how strong the boost button was when I accidentally leaned on the button when I WASN'T having a contraction and hit the roof. Its powerful.

So yes it does work. I hired mine.

Phineyj Sat 13-Jun-15 16:40:34

I didn't like it, but the friend who lent it to me was keen. I found it heavy and felt like one of those old ladies in the ads with a safety alarm. I loved my birthing pool though!

chickenfuckingpox Sat 13-Jun-15 16:41:21

make sure you hire a good one mine was from the hospital and faulty so it didnt work then would suddenly briiiiing into life it was definitely a distraction though just at the wrong times

and make sure you take it off too they forgot mine and it scorched my back to be honest once i had the pethadine i forgot everything

RandomMess Sat 13-Jun-15 16:41:28

I too thought it wasn't that great until the battery ran out...

With my 4th labour I managed with just the tens and gas & air.

BlueBee Sat 13-Jun-15 16:41:40

Silly question time - where do you stick the pads? I presume on your lower back for some reason, but I don't know.

coneywonder Sat 13-Jun-15 16:42:33

Thanks ladies. I will go and have a look at some prices now. I hope to use the birthing pool too!

LillyBugg Sat 13-Jun-15 16:46:00

Yes lower back for the pads.

ShootTheMoon Sat 13-Jun-15 17:09:52

Best thing ever grin. I only used TENS for my labour and didn't need pain relief at all. I agree it's more of a distraction - and good to have the boost to focus on - but I had it on from early active labour and it was fab.

coneywonder Sat 13-Jun-15 17:11:13

Can I ask which one you used and where you got it from shootthemoon?

Sylviecat Sat 13-Jun-15 17:17:34

I hired one and I agree it was fantastic.

I hired it from a place in Portsmouth who were recommended on here as being cheap (I don't live anywhere near Portsmouth!). They were great and it cost less than £20. Think they were called the new road clinic.

GladysTheGolem Sat 13-Jun-15 17:19:02

Amazing!

Brilliant for afterpains too.

I used a MamaTens, pads atthe bottom of back and some below bra strap.

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Jun-15 17:22:10

I loved my tens machine. Used it both pregnancies and didn't need other pain relief but that was probably just luck.

Currently using a tens machine following a back injury and its been way better than the heavy duty pain relief drugs prescribed.

museumum Sat 13-Jun-15 17:24:09

Hired one. Best thirty quid I've spent in my life. Stayed home with it till 8cm.
Labout started b2b so all the pains in my lower back. Tens was ideal!!

Monkeyinshoes Sat 13-Jun-15 17:31:01

I used one for the births of both my children and it was brilliant. I didn't realise how much it was helping until I dropped it just as a contraction was starting and so had a contraction without the boost.

I'd advise having spare pads and micro pore tape. In case it's a hot day or you're using it for a while the pads might lose there stickiness. I found out just how strong I had set it when a pad had slipped off and zapped me in the leg.

ShootTheMoon Sat 13-Jun-15 17:45:03

Sorry coney it was 4 years ago so I don't remember! Something like tensmachinesonlime and I know I didn't get the cheapest option. This time around I plan to hire one via my MW birth unit - apparently I can hire one for £25.

ShootTheMoon Sat 13-Jun-15 17:52:27

Actually, I have just found my emails. grin. It was an Elle Tens Machine from TENSMED and it was about £25, including new pads I think.

I put it on as soon as my contractions were regular (almost straight away) and started at a lower level, before increasing the intensity then starting to use boost. I was on hands and knees whenever possible and using the boost was DH's job during transition and pushing. He massaged my back too.

BananaPie Sat 13-Jun-15 18:27:37

I hired one from www.birthease.co.uk cost about £17 and was definitely worth it!

Monkeyinshoes Sat 13-Jun-15 18:38:55

Take a look on eBay too. I bought a second hand one on there and bought new pads from Boots.

I kept it for a couple years, used it for two births and it worked out cheaper than hiring one each time. Plus I then sold it and got my money back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now