Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone got their belly button pierced?

(16 Posts)
Distracted15 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:40:22

I'm currently 10+2 pregnant so no bump yet but I've had my belly pierced since I was 16. I'd feel really odd without it even though I never get my belly out on show!shock

Just wondering if anyone kept there's throughout pregnancy? I've read about a stretchy bar you can put in in place of my current metal bar?

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 12-Jun-15 20:50:29

Hi,
I found a company that did extra long bars for pregnant belly button piercings. Sorry I can't remember the name but they certainly exist

RockerMummy184 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:13:40

Congratulations on your pregnancy. When I was pg with DS I got one of the soft ones but it looked a little odd as my tummy stuck out so much you could see it through my clothes. In the end I just went without and found that since I'd had it done so long it didn't close up anyway.
They are easily available at most good tattoo shops, or on ebay/amazon.

RockerMummy184 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:15:04

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GMSZW3E/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

MrsFbabyNo1 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:25:00

I've had mine pierced for 14yrs. never not had a nice dangling piercing in. at 20 week scan they have to move prob all over belly to get the images so asked me to take it out.

I never bothered to put it back in or buy one those flexible bars (did look at them though). hated it at first but then soon got used to it. I love rubbing hands all over bump so think a piercing would get in my way ( personally).

I'm 35 weeks now, your belly button grows outwards as you grow bigger and bigger, then the inner piercing hole comes out too. so I have like three holes. but I still think my bump looks totally gorge!

I'll pop a piercing straight back in after main preg belly.goes though!

I'd say wait and see, your initial dislike of taking piercing out will soon prob go and you won't really care when you get a lovely preggo belly. grin

Nottalotta Fri 12-Jun-15 21:25:46

I had a plastic 'maternity' bar in for a few weeks but have taken it out now as it was getting a bit sore and odd feeling. Currently 33wks and the hole hasn't closed over.

weelamb123 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:29

Dont have belly button pierced but my belly button is as flat as a pancake at 35 weeks so no way I would be able to keep a piercing in if I had one xx

scrivette Fri 12-Jun-15 21:31:01

I have had one for 16 years, I kept it in during my first pregnancy and at 36 weeks with my second still have it in. I haven't had to change it to a maternity bar either.

I did have to take it out for the 20 week scan though and it got a bit red as I hadn't taken it out for years, but after a few doses of salt water it was fine.

Foreverconfused Fri 12-Jun-15 21:35:07

I would use a PTFE bar if you want to keep the piercing They're bendy and longer for when your belly expands. I left my normal bar in and if you look closely I now have a little scar , almost like a stretch mark.

Distracted15 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:48:13

Thanks everyone. I've got this weird thing where it pretty much starts to heal as soon as it's removed so I don't want to chance leaving it out. Even though I've had it done for nearly 15 years!

I'm going to buy one of those maternity bars and take each week as it comes!

Can't wait for a pregnant belly! grin

ArgentinianMalbec Fri 12-Jun-15 21:55:05

I'd had mine pierced for about 11 years when I got pregnant. I just took it out when it started looking weird and put it back in after I'd had DD. It needed a little Vaseline but the hole hadn't closed up completely.

doobeedee Fri 12-Jun-15 21:55:25

I have a flexible bar in mine. It was fine through pregnancy and still looks ok now. Some people's stretch weirdly though but I suppose you could take it out if it started to do that.

doobeedee Fri 12-Jun-15 21:56:45

Oh and I never got an outie so that wasn't a problem for me either!

contractor6 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:58:41

Had mine pierced 18 years ago, took out 16 years ago. Pregnancy has shown a little scar and it is huge far away from.belly button, I don't have a hug bump but at 26 weeks would say is 2 cm away.

PJ04JCW Sat 13-Jun-15 08:07:53

I had mine pierced at 18 or 19, got pregnant at 31 and took it out at about 6-7 months when it started rubbing on my work uniform. It healed up really quickly so after my tum went back to normal I discussed with DH whether to get it done again and we decided I wouldn't bother. Got a 2cm tattoo on my hip and fortunately that still looks ok! Currently 7+2 so hoping my bump grows the same way/size again.

Janek Sat 13-Jun-15 09:01:56

I find my belly button ring very hard to unsert if i don't do it as soon as i've taken the previous one out, as if once i've lost the 'shape' of the piercing I can't find it again. So i had a plastic bar to keep my piercing through both pregnancies.

The pregnancy bar needed to be surprisingly long - it looked excessive when i first put it in, but certainly with dd2 it was a little tight by the time i was 42 40 weeks.

A good thing is that my piercing was a bit wonky when i had it done, it hangs straight since I've been pregnant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now