Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

maxi dress conundrum

(16 Posts)
CoffeeAndOranges Fri 12-Jun-15 17:10:24

I've seen a couple of nice maxi dresses and think they might be really useful and comfy as I grow over the summer (I'm 17 weeks, not much of a bump yet). I don't have any currently, for 2 main reasons. 1, I'm a bit of a short arse and maxis are always so flippin long and 2, whenever I wear skirts in summer (ie without tights) I hate the sweaty leg, slapping thighs thing. I'm not particularly large of thigh, but they are getting bigger and i wonder if I will end up giving myself a slow round of applause whenever i wear one. Don't really want to wear leggings or owt underneath (would be able to see them and would be even hotter).

Is this a thing or am i just being paranoid?!

Brummiegirl15 Fri 12-Jun-15 17:17:32

I'm a short arse too - Boden do petite maxi dresses though.

I'm rather big in the thigh department too but sod it!

OMGBabyNo3 Fri 12-Jun-15 17:27:10

Short arse here too but at 24 weeks can still get in my stretchy tshirt material maxis from Superdry from last summer. With a pair of wedges they were ok length wise for me (5'1"!)

NoMontagues Fri 12-Jun-15 18:47:50

If the maxis you've seen are in a stretchy fabric then I say go for it. I was heavily pregnant with my DS last summer and I found one of my old "holiday" maxis in the back of the cupboard and it was a lifesaver.

You won't need to worry about the thigh slapping if you work on your pregnancy waddle now so as to perfect that bow-legged effect in time for your third trimester grin

CoffeeAndOranges Fri 12-Jun-15 18:57:36

Ha ha yes I will get practising my Rugby player swagger' now! There's some lovely tie front ones in JoJo Maman that look good although I doubt I'll be wanting one for nursing by the time I'm feeding the little blighter at Christmas. Going to order the orange one from next tonight, might have to ask my mum to turn up the hem if it's ridiculously long!

contractor6 Fri 12-Jun-15 19:14:29

I thought my bump would higher the hem to short enough to walk in, but alas no. Phase eight do have some lovely ones in the sale right now for anyone interested...

blowinahoolie Fri 12-Jun-15 20:49:27

I bought a couple of nice ones out of Matalan the other day. Hoping to also be able to use them after the birth too, so it's money well spent.

Purpleball Fri 12-Jun-15 21:33:05

I'm wearing quite a few maxi dresses. I got some anti chafing gel. It's a lanacane one and seems to work ok. I keep it with me in case I need to reapply

applecore0317 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:35:00

I'm a short arse and loved maxi dresses in the last month of my pregnancy, my bump lifted the dress up at the front, so for once the length was ok. If not, wonder web to shorten them was my best friend smile you could wear little shorts underneath.

BadIdeaBear Fri 12-Jun-15 21:37:31

I'm 35+5 and wearing maxi dresses a lot. I have similar thigh issues and have remedied by chopping a couple of pairs of maternity tights into shorts. V comfy and no chafing!

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:54:42

Just sew a hem onto the dress to shorten.

Purpleball Fri 12-Jun-15 22:15:22

Chopped down old pair of leggings also worked but I overheated a bit hence the anti chafing gel

CoffeeAndOranges Sat 13-Jun-15 08:44:04

Thank you all - the orange maxi dress has been ordered so if it fits, I will be giving myself a round of applause soon (that's until I trip over it))! smile

blowinahoolie Sat 13-Jun-15 08:59:14

For the chaffing, all you need is some talc to put down there between your thighs. If it gets really bad, then there's also Sudocrem! DH swears by it (when he was holidaying in his kilt many moons ago).

Littlemissjt Sat 13-Jun-15 16:33:37

I second the anti chaffing gel. It works wonders!! I got married abroad and even in the heat I didnt have any problems.

Frasras11 Sat 13-Jun-15 20:29:52

I found the next ones long and I'm 5' 8". I got the grey short sleeved one. I can't sew though so up taking for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now