Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

24 weeks pregnant - 5th pregnancy - hopefully 2nd baby xxxc

(6 Posts)
KateRaeganandMichael Fri 12-Jun-15 12:16:31

Hi I haven't posted for about 3 years so I should really give a bit of history since then. I am currently 24 weeks pregnant -baby boy - eeeep but I have quite an horrific obstetric history so I am under a consultant. I miscarried my first baby, got pregnant again with my daughter who is now 5. When she was 2 1/2 I got pregnant again with identical two boys who we sadly lost (due to TTTS). I had a miscarriage at 11.4 last year (baby had stopped growing at about 8 weeks) and I am pregnant again -hooray- this pregnancy has been relatively straight forward other than getting hyperemisis (par for the course with me lol). Aaaaaanyway. As this pregnancy progresses it has suddenly occurred to me that I'm going to need to get this baby out somehow. I am EXTREMELY anxious about giving birth as even though I had a very good labour with my daughter and to some degree my twins I have always had retained placenta problems - after the twins were born they decided to bring out the forceps - I had a panic attack and they took me to theatre (where they gave me an epidural, put up a sheet and probably used the forceps) and with the miscarriage last year - I delivered the foetus in my bathroom at home and got to the hospital (I asked to get knocked out but everything went too quickly) (I have very quick labours) and I ended up having to have 3 d&cs on gas and air alone. I lost and incredible amount of blood and had a few fits -joy- The noises of all the implements they were using still haunt me. Anyway can I request a c-section due to fear or could they make me go through labour again? I'm so terrified. I just want to get this baby out safely and couldn't bear anymore heartache or pain. I understand that c-secs take a lot of recovery but id rather not have to have them come at me with forceps or ventouse - I will kick off if they do (I am a bit over dramatic) and I rather it not turn into an emergency c-section. Sorry this is so long winded and waffly (also excuse the grammar - I'm just about to head into work) all answers appreciated. Xxx

sizethree Fri 12-Jun-15 14:21:47

Firstly, congratulations on your lregnancy and so sorry to hear what am awful journey you've been through to get to this point.
Your anxiety surrounding labour is completely understandable considering your history and you'll have time to plan what sort of North you want at yiur midwife and consultant appointments. Temever they are here to provide you and yiur baby with the best possible care. Please to be honest about your fears so they can best support you.

SaulGood Fri 12-Jun-15 14:27:14

What a road you've had to this pregnancy. I'm sorry for the babies you lost.

I do think you are a good candidate for a caesarean. Do you feel confident in your care and your consultant?

jimijack Fri 12-Jun-15 14:34:52

Similar history to you here (9pregnancies, 2children)
Because of this, I was offered a c section. Consultant just simply said "well, all you want is a live, healthy baby, so let's section you..is that ok?"
Best decision ever.

I was given a date, so organized my son for that day, we were able to drop him off at school then nip to hospital.
Calm, clean, organized, radio on in the corner, background d music was lovely.
Lots of smiles from every one.
They asked if I wanted them to tell me or show me what sex baby was as we didn't know.

In & out in about an hour.
Back on the ward with my baby breast feeding.
I could have murdered for a bacon butty but settled for tea & toast.
Home 2 days later.

KateRaeganandMichael Fri 12-Jun-15 20:35:52

Thank you for your answers ladies!

saulgood I definitely have a good relationship with my consultant. I've known her for about 10 years (well before I had children) as she took -of all things- my appendix out.

I just worry they'll think I'm being over dramatic. I watch one born every minute every day and it seems to take a lot for the women to have elective c-sections - it seems to take a lot for them to have Emergencies. I keep hearing from my work colleagues that they'll probably say no because of the cost issues... I don't know - I don't want to annoy anyone that could potentially be looking after me and my very very very longed for son.

Gah!

KateRaeganandMichael Fri 12-Jun-15 20:40:41

jimijack sounds like you had a perfect c-sec. I would love for mine to be exactly like yours x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now