Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anaemic and feeling crap!

(11 Posts)
Iloveonionchutney Fri 12-Jun-15 12:09:12

My GP told me last week I'm anaemic, I've never been able to take any oral form of iron, I had it as an infusion the last time through my Crohn's nurse. This pregnancy they said If I needed it they would arrange an infusion. I've left messages for the nurse to call me about it and asked the GP to chase it and still haven't heard anything. I'm tired of being so exhausted, how long can they expect me to wait? I'm starting to et really annoyed now and don't know where to turn sad

Penguinandminipenguin Fri 12-Jun-15 13:10:31

I had to wait about 4 weeks for the Drs to decide the iron infusion was necessary, and then after they sent the referral to the hospital I had to wait another 3 weeks. I think it also depends on how far along you are. I was only in the 2nd trimester, so they didn't see me having it as 'urgent' despite how poorly I was. Now I am 33 weeks pregnant, and I may need another one, so they would be faster to organise it this time around.

Iloveonionchutney Fri 12-Jun-15 14:42:29

Ahh ok, it's frustrating not knowing how long is ok to wait. I'll have to ride it out for a bit then. Hope your feeling better.

TallGiraffes Fri 12-Jun-15 17:34:48

How many weeks are you? You can only have the infusions in the 2nd and third trimesters so that might be the delay. If you're in those then just keep pushing, I also have IBD and had an infusion at 34 weeks, felt like a new person in 2 days. Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Iloveonionchutney Fri 12-Jun-15 18:57:26

I'm 23 weeks, I have an appointment with my antenatal consultant a week Tuesday so I'll ask there if I still don't hear anything. I'm just fed up of the tiredness on top of the Crohn's mess too and I'm really short of breath. Just don't need anymore reason to worry.

Nottalotta Fri 12-Jun-15 21:41:16

Can I ask about the infusion? I was told this week (at 32 + 4) that my 28 blood tests showed i was quite anaemic. Might explain the sheer exhaustion and light headed spells I am having. I took iron in my teens and early 20's on and off, but always stopped due to the severe 'side effects' (constipation....)

Given that this can already be an issue and I already have a 'pile' i am wary of starting the iron. Does the infusion have the same effect?

TallGiraffes Fri 12-Jun-15 21:56:48

No, no side effects on the digestive system from an infusion but quite a high percentage of people are allergic to them so you have to be monitored very closely. I go into anaphylaxis with one brand but not another. You need to talk to a doctor if you're anaemic and not planning to take the tablets.

Chutney - ring the consultant's secretary and ask can the infusion be setup ASAP. Crohn's and pregnancy is tough enough without anaemia! Do you know what your levels are?

Iloveonionchutney Fri 12-Jun-15 22:39:27

I spoke to a midwife at antenatal they are going to look into it in Monday so fingers crossed it'll get sorted then.

TallGiraffes Sat 13-Jun-15 05:38:46

Excellent, hope you get it ASAP

Nottalotta Sat 13-Jun-15 09:18:41

I don't think they would give me the infusion 'just' because of constipation would they? I have started one tablet a day rather than two, hopefully will ease myself into it, and am stocking up on branflakes and prunes ......

Iloveonionchutney Sat 13-Jun-15 09:43:25

I don't know, I suppose it depends how severe it gets. I do know someone who had problems because of the constipation and they were offered an infusion.od speak to your doctor about your concerns and see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now