Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Complications during/after C-section & overweight???

(6 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Fri 12-Jun-15 10:58:04

I'm 32+6 and seeing a anaesthetist in 1 weeks time.

Wanted to know of people's experiences who have been overweight & had a csection.

- any complications?
- straight forward?
- over weight but Natural delivery?

I'm quiet short & have been told may need to have a csection as baby has always been in a sideways laying position when I have a scan every month.

princessvikki Fri 12-Jun-15 13:49:04

When I had my dd I was ( and still am hmm) overweight my bmi was about 45 then I think. I had a section due to baby being breech and it was super easy. I was worried before because the hospital tell you all the worst case scenarios, but I can honestly say it was easy. My dd was born at 3:33pm and I was up showered, dressed and make up on by 6am the next day. I didn't need any pain releif at all . The only minor problem I had was when the midwife took all of my staples out at the same time and my scar opened slightly at 1 end, I just end to the nurse at my gp surgery and she gave me dressings for a week.
Just make sure you keep your wound clean, I had a shower every day and sprayed it directly on my wound, don't rub it with a cloth or anything , it will hurt I learnt that the hard way smile. Make sure it's really dry after, I used my hair dryer rather than a towel to get it properly dry.
you'll be fine , the hospital have to tell you the bad bits but you will be fine. I think they were a bit ott with the scare tactics with me because they wanted to turn my dd but I said no.

geekymommy Fri 12-Jun-15 14:34:37

I'm overweight, was more so when I had an EMCS with DD. No complications.

MumToBe2015R Fri 12-Jun-15 17:22:40

Thank you ladies. Glad all went well for you x

TinyMonkey Fri 12-Jun-15 18:34:09

My bmi was 39 when I had a section last year due to the baby being breech. It was fine, but I second the pp who mentioned keeping your scar dry. Good luck.

Hidingbehindclouds Fri 12-Jun-15 18:46:00

BMI 40 - Elective c section for breech dd - no problems whatsoever, I was up making my bed that afternoon. Bloody brilliant. Lie on the bed/sofa when you can to let air get to your incision afterwards, helps it dry out and heal. Congrats grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now