Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fist baby small and over due - told second is big...

(5 Posts)
wowiesis111 Thu 11-Jun-15 22:11:19

Basically been having growth scans as first baby was three days over due and was small. (5lb6oz)
A very traumatic birth.
Any way this time around due to history been having regular growth scans.
With first pregnancy one minute was told he was going to be big, then small then the predicted weight was bigger than he was.

This time around again one minute she was one he small side but now at 38 weeks been told he's actually big.
Midwife assistant said " have u had glucose test?"
I'm size 10 and quite tall - partner isn't bug either but the consultant then went on to mention the shoulder thing - when born he may get stuck.
At 38 weeks apparently he's measuring 7lb 15oz.

I was pleased that he was bigger or average compared to small like last time but now they have got me worried and thinking I'm going to have a beast!

One thing after another. Scare factor. Two weeks ago baby was breech and there was talk of c section. Now that's sorted as he's head down it's the size thing that's been flagged.

Why do they worry ?

wowiesis111 Thu 11-Jun-15 22:13:25

Battery going so didn't have time to finish or spell check! Sorry.

TakesTwoToTango Thu 11-Jun-15 23:48:06

Under 8lbs at 38 wks is a good size but not exactly massive! I really wouldn't worry! As you know from experience, growth scan weight estimates are notoriously inaccurate. And plenty of women birth 10-11lb babies with no problems at all, there's absolutely nothing (that you mention) that suggests you shouldn't be one of them. I'd just put it down to one of those thing hcps are inclined to say without really thinking about it. I bet if you asked 10 consultants they'd give you 10 different answers. Good luck and enjoy you lovely new baby when the time comes (big newborns are so much easier to deal with than tiddlers - gorgeous as they also undoubtedly are!) grin

TakesTwoToTango Thu 11-Jun-15 23:50:51

Ps I'm a size 10 and quite tall too. when my midwife freaked out about my "off the scale huge" 20 wk scan measurements, the consultant just calmly said: "you're above average height, i'd be more concerned if you weren't having an above average sized baby".

wowiesis111 Fri 12-Jun-15 15:43:58

Thanks 'Ittakestwo'.
I agree is just they seem to say things so flippantly without realising sending us 'worriers' minds into overdrive.
I seem to have one problem sorted for them to suggest/mention another.
At my 36 week growth Doppler appointment the consultant i saw before having it done said " depending on the result today we may have to get this baby out!" I was sat there for the next three hours waiting for scan in shock. She could have said that if they needed too after the scan.
Really annoys me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now