Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby bath or not?

(32 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 11-Jun-15 14:06:30

I wasnt going to bother as they seem awkward, i have nowhere to put it other than in the bath. And filling emptying looks to be a PITA. But friends and family tell me i need one.

I was going to use the sink to start possibly with a sponge thing, then the big bath with sonething to lay in/on.

What does everyone else do?

fanjodisfunction Thu 11-Jun-15 14:11:19

I was going to use the sink, it seamed easier to me, standing up can hold baby better etc but dh insisted on a baby bath. we didn't use it for long and to be honest I hated it. all that kneeling on the floor etc. if you could put it on a table then that's better. but he wants to keep it for next one, its a pain to store.

mousmous Thu 11-Jun-15 14:12:57

yes
and now the dc are bigger we use it as paddling pool in the garden in summer.

Rosenwyn1985 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:14:09

I have a disability which means holding baby up was tough. We bought a bath support to hold baby and I knelt next to the bath. It worked really well. One of those nice supportive, reclined ones. Planning the same with baby number two. Baby bath seemed so much of a fuss. Also I figured it would get little one used to being in the main bath from the word go.

Drowsybutawake Thu 11-Jun-15 14:15:16

We didn't bother for exactly the reasons you mention but I kinda wish we had now, just because it would have saved water and you could put it up high.

How about a compromise - is there a local group buying and selling used baby stuff where you could pick one up super cheap and then sell on if it doesn't suit you? There are a lot of groups like this on Facebook where I live.

Drowsybutawake Thu 11-Jun-15 14:16:34

Having said that, we coped just fine without so don't listen to anyone who tells you you "need" one.

Nottalotta Thu 11-Jun-15 14:18:05

I don't have anywhere high for it to go so would be on the floor or in the bath. I don't think.i will bother, can always get one if need be.

PragmaticWench Thu 11-Jun-15 14:18:27

You can use a bucket. Seriously! There are tubs so the baby sits up and it uses less water. We had a reclined baby bath-seat which worked well, but obviously uses more water.

Artandco Thu 11-Jun-15 14:20:26

We didn't. Baby washed in either sink, or dh and I usually just took them in the bath or shower with us ( still do)

LemonYellowSun Thu 11-Jun-15 14:22:17

We used the reclined bath seat which they lie on. Much better.

I never used the sink, but that would be good when they are tiny, as its a bit back breaking leaning over the bath!!

cookielove Thu 11-Jun-15 14:23:13

We used the recline seat in the bath, didn't have the space for a baby bath! Worked really well smile

Griftymoo Thu 11-Jun-15 14:25:52

I didn't have one the first time round but I bought an angel care bath support this time around and I think it's worth it as it can be used up to six months old. You definitely don't 'need' one but they can make life a bit easier.

Florin Thu 11-Jun-15 14:26:58

We didn't bother and just washed ds in the sink. No bending over so much better and no huge bath to store. Before you know it they are sitting in the bath. We had the mothercare mat with seat support which we used from about 4 or 5 months which was worth the investment.

anyoldnameforathread Thu 11-Jun-15 14:28:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stace27 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:30:26

Angelcare soft touch bath support are fab and would def recommend as well as the sink for quickness. I will never use a baby bath again waste of money, awkward and horrible to store Xx

Hobby2014 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:32:55

We used a sponge thing you put in your bath. You just lay them on it and supports them lying flat.

MissesandMuddles Thu 11-Jun-15 14:40:28

We had one for dc1 but used it less than a handful of times. Bathed with him mostly. We quickly sold it and just used the sink when dc2 came along which worked really well. Dc3 due soon and I have bought a tummy tub (from gumtree for £5) as I thought it'd make it easier for other dc to get involved in bathing baby but won't have the pita of filling and emptying that comes with a traditional baby bath.

CarrotPuff Thu 11-Jun-15 15:14:39

If you are just using a big bath then surely you are kneeling just the same way as you would if you had a baby bath? But you need much more water to just wash a tiny baby than if you had a baby bath.

I didn't have a baby bath for any of mine. All of them were bathed in the sink to start with, and then when they were older, in the bath (I used to go in with ds1 - he loved it and it filled an empty spell in the afternoon - and with ds2 and ds3, I just swished them in their older brother/s bath whilst they were in it).

Artandco Thu 11-Jun-15 15:44:26

Carrot - I would just run full bath but for either dh and I plus baby so saved water and time

Fattycow Thu 11-Jun-15 15:46:34

I have one and couldn't imagine not having one!
What is all this about kneeling on the floor? Don't they sell the supports for baby baths over there?

badg3r Thu 11-Jun-15 15:49:37

We have a small flat and a six month old. Often when I have a shower I am grateful that we didn't buy one, never felt we needed one and there's so much more space!

AmberLav Thu 11-Jun-15 15:54:17

We used one for our first till her was a year, as we have a water meter, and it really saved water. With DC2, we didn't bother, as she was happy to lie in DC1's bathwater, so no water saving...

Trinpy Thu 11-Jun-15 16:13:41

We used a foam bath support in the main bath to begin with but it wasted so much water so we bought a baby bath after 2 months. It lasted until around 10 months when he started climbing out so we switched to main bath.

Baby baths are cheap and sold everywhere so you might as well wait until the baby is here and then decide.

missmargot Thu 11-Jun-15 16:21:56

We used a Tummy Tub and it was brilliant. It's basically a posh bucket with no sharp edges and weighted at the bottom. You hold the baby with just one finger under their chin and they float upright, sounds terrible but is actually really soothing for the baby. DS only reluctantly stopped using it at 10 months when he was far too big for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now