Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it normal not to feel the baby move for a couple of days at 18/19 weeks?

(8 Posts)
Anna2710 Thu 11-Jun-15 11:57:01

Hello, I am almost 19 weeks pregnant and started feeling what I think is baby moving about a week ago (little twitchy sensations) and felt them every day until a couple of days ago and have not felt anything since regardless of what I do to try and provoke them lol. I just wondered if this is normal or if I should be worried?

RockerMummy184 Thu 11-Jun-15 12:06:15

It is still very early to be feeling 'regular' patterns of movement. Baby won't be in any kind of routine at the moment and movements will still be pretty sporadic, however I was in exactly the same situation a few weeks ago (I was 18+6) and hadn't felt my twins move at all for 2 days which I thought was odd. I started feeling them at 16 weeks and had felt them every day up until this point.

I went to the assessment unit who said they are still far too small at this stage to put on a monitor to check movement and that all they could do is to listen to their heartbeats.

They reassured me that with them still being so tiny they have so much room to move about, get into different positions and have a massive amount of cushioning so it is very normal at this stage to go through stages of not feeling movements for longer periods of time.

However, they did say that the assessment unit is there as much to look after mum as it is baby, so if you need any reassurance then call them and get checked out. smile

Nottalotta Thu 11-Jun-15 12:06:48

At this stage the baby is small enough that it can be doing a jive and you won't feel it unless its against the wall of your uterus. I first felt movement at 17wks. It was then on and off with several days between movements until about 19/20.

Try having a warm bath in the evening, just lay and relax. This usually worked for me. I'm sure everything is fine, some people haven't felt movement by 18/19 wks.

ceebelle83 Thu 11-Jun-15 12:40:25

You probably won't feel much regular movement until baby is a bit bigger, I didn't start to feel a pattern of movement until about 21-22 weeks. It was just random, occasional flutterings from about 15 weeks

newbian Thu 11-Jun-15 12:50:53

I was told not to expect to feel movement until 22 weeks. I'm 19 weeks and haven't noticed anything I could say for certain was movement.

MistressKatherine Thu 11-Jun-15 13:00:35

I was getting regular movements at 17 weeks and got scared to death at week 22 when I felt nada for two days. However, I was in Rome and done loads of walking which lulls them to sleep. Like the other ladies say, at this stage unless they are right against the wall you can't feel them. They'll pop back smile

Anna2710 Thu 11-Jun-15 13:07:14

Thank you ladies for the reassurance. The sane part of my mind keeps telling me this is the case but I couldn't help but worry.

BreadmakerFan Thu 11-Jun-15 13:08:35

If you are worried I would get a midwife check. It might be okay not to feel movements every day after feeling them butnitnisnt worth the risk. Ime once I felt the baby move I felt them daily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now