Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Centile????

(7 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Thu 11-Jun-15 11:26:10

Can someone pls explain what this is. First time mum to be. What is it meant to be?

24+1 - Centile 38.4
28+1 - Centile 62.3
32+1 - Centile 42.6

Is it normal to go up then down. Don't understand

HazleNutt Thu 11-Jun-15 11:29:03

what were they measuring? Fundal height?

NickyEds Thu 11-Jun-15 13:17:41

Was it from a growth scan??

youlemming Thu 11-Jun-15 13:19:19

The centile is were in the general population the measurement falls, 50th centile means following the avg.

I'm assuming they were measuring your bump, it's a very inaccurate measurement and used only as a bit of a guide to babies growth, if they saw it continue to going up or down over a number of measurements they would send for a scan to check growth, but if it avg's out over a couple of measurements then it's ok.
It can be affected a lot by where the placenta is and how the baby it laying, I know if I was measured yesterday it would have been higher then if done today as overnight the baby has moved and I can see a big difference in the size and shape evn when laying down.

My first measurement at 28 wks was putting me in the 90th centile but as that is only 1 measurement there was no immediate concern at being a big baby, if next week at 34 wks it's still up there the midwife said she might send for a scan just to double check.
But I have know people to measure one way or the other the whole time to then have a big that was the complete opposite (as in measure big 8-9lb but born 6-7lb).

youlemming Thu 11-Jun-15 13:21:01

*have a baby that was complete opposite (not a big)

MumToBe2015R Thu 11-Jun-15 16:23:00

Thank you for responses. Makes a little sense to me now.

Hazle I don't no what they were measuring, they don't explain after the scan. It just states Centile on the paper work with measurement.

I have a app with midwife on 23rd so will speak to them about this

Thank you once again x

Topsy34 Thu 11-Jun-15 19:37:50

The other thing that can make a big difference is if you havent had a wee for a bit, a full bladder can push fundal height up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now