Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

help! - about to fly to spain and worrying about baby not moving @ 23 weeks

(8 Posts)
scarednoob Thu 11-Jun-15 10:47:42

hello ladies

I think this is going to be a recurring panic for me now, but I haven't felt much movement other than a couple of gentle pokes since yesterday afternoon. I normally get several strong kicks and a number of pokes every day. I know that at 23 weeks the baby is very small, and the GP at my 22 week visit said not to worry about tracking movement until 28 weeks, but I can't help but panic.

i phoned the mw and she said come in if you haven't felt any movement in 24 hours - but as I am flying off to Mallorca with some friends in a couple of hours, I can't really go to a&e. I have a feeling I am going to spend the whole weekend panicking sad

not quite sure what I am rambling for, desperately looking for reassurance or WWYD perhaps? thanks all!

fanjodisfunction Thu 11-Jun-15 11:15:45

if it was me I would phone my midwife again and see if she could see me quick, or I would just turn up at maturity unit at hospital and say that I was in a panic and going on holiday and needed to see if baby was OK.

in you notes does it say where your placenta is lying?

scarednoob Thu 11-Jun-15 11:29:33

yes - it's not anterior.

I have felt a few more flutters since typing this, but have now got myself in such a state that I am losing the plot about whether they are even there or not!

I know it sounds awful but I can't - I have a big client meeting starting at 12.30 and there is nobody else here who can do it. Then straight from there to airport. I now feel like cancelling the whole thing, except that's not fair on my friend who has paid, waaaah!!

IlonaRN Thu 11-Jun-15 11:34:04

If you have felt flutters, then you have felt movement. Remember that it's harder for you to feel movements when you are moving around yourself (at least at this stage).
I am 22 weeks, and only feel my baby if I am still - I.e. been sitting still for a long time, or lying in bed before sleep or before getting up in the morning.
Enjoy your trip!

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Thu 11-Jun-15 11:35:02

At 23 weeks there is no expectation of pattern of movement at all. As long as you are feeling something semi-regularly thats ok. You've got weeks left until anything more is expected.

Laquila Thu 11-Jun-15 11:36:58

A MW once advised me to drink a glass of iced water or to try tying a scarf or belt around the bump- apparently both these measures can help wake a baby up. If you do these and still aren't feelinf as much movement aa usual within an hour or so then I'd go to the maternity ward.

Raffertys Thu 11-Jun-15 11:54:50

Try not to panic, scared. I know that's easier said than done. As pp's have said, you are feeling movement. I used to have a Frapuccino to wake DS up if he stopped wriggling for too long.

scarednoob Thu 11-Jun-15 14:14:57

thanks all - she has definitely poked me today, but been much quieter than yesterday or the day before. I can see me trudging off to Spanish a&e with an online dictionary in my hand at this rate. come on baby, kick me!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now