Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 weeks & exhausted - roll on maternity leave

(19 Posts)
Bellabutterfly2014 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:18:34

Basically - as the thread title says!!

No idea how I'm going to do another 4 and a bit months at work - I'm done in now and my manager has been a bit unkind (no change there then!!!) and not very supportive towards me at all. I'm finding it really difficult.

I could go on Mat leave earlier but then I'll have less time off with the baby so not sure what to do for the best? What's everyone else doing ?

rebbles Thu 11-Jun-15 07:27:26

Same here I am leaving at 31 weeks as so tired! Will have less time off afterwards but think it's better I am relaxed for birth.

ARV1981 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:29:47

I was in a similar situation as you and have saved 3 weeks of holiday and then had a month of maternity leave before the due date. I just couldn't face work. I now have 6 weeks, 2 days left until the holiday starts! Can't wait!

GlitzAndGigglesx Thu 11-Jun-15 07:37:01

I saved my annual leave to get out quicker. Mat leave starts in under 2 weeks and until then I'm having 4 weeks off paid grin. From 25 weeks I've been desperate to get out

ImpatiencePersonified Thu 11-Jun-15 08:58:10

Almost 25 weeks here and I'm the same... I've got 11 weeks until I break off (as of close of play tomoz) and its not just that I'm shattered - my eyes not on the work ball and I'm massively distracted! Hence posting on Mumsnet when I really should be working.

Sucks

Skiptonlass Thu 11-Jun-15 10:43:03

Can you take a couple of long weekends? My boss is vile and I'm finding work very stressful. I've booked a few long weekends off and having a short week and little breaks to look forward to is helping me.

LumpyCustard69 Thu 11-Jun-15 11:32:47

I'm 29+2. I'm going on maternity at 35 weeks. I've had to cut my hours by almost 50%, and I'm only on a 24 hour contract!! I do work on my feet in a coffee shop though. I can't wait to go on maternity, I have pelvic pain after every shift (of only 4 hours), and back pain all the time. It's really tough. I've got a week's holiday after next week, and then only 3 weeks left after that.
Can you cut your hours down temporarily? Or like others have said, maybe tag some holiday onto the maternity leave?
Good luck. I do sympathise!!

Nottalotta Thu 11-Jun-15 12:14:17

It might get better. I started feeling better after 16 weeks after near constant exhaustion and nausea. Plans to start maternity at 38wks. shock but have since had a stressful time at work, plus a very traumatic personal experience and have been signed off by GP with stress. I'm 32 + 5 now and GP said he will sign me off until the last day that i can be signed off before maternity kicks in. So will go back to work for just over 2 weeks then start maternity. I'm so relieved!

Bellabutterfly2014 Sun 14-Jun-15 07:51:33

Thanks for the advice - I'm trying to save my holiday up to tag onto maternity leave (I've got 3 weeks) altho November seems a long way off with no days off!!!!!!
I'll see how I go but maybe some long weekends to break it up are the way forward - that's a good suggestion.
My boss hasn't even bothered to sit down with me to do my Risk Assessment - I feel quite let down with it all tbh.
Xx

mrsatkinson Sun 14-Jun-15 08:07:55

im oeaving in 5 weeks at 32 weeks, including 2 weeks hol, so.mat leave starts at 34 weeks. i know how you feel. im a dental nurse and up and on my feet running round all day. theyve put me on desk 3 days a week now which is brilliant, but still have 16 hours in surgery which is tiring. i suffer from bh when on my feet too long, and had them the other day at work. they werent supportive (well one member of staff was bloody horrible actually) to the point i considered taking my leave even earlier!

Rosenwyn1985 Sun 14-Jun-15 08:27:34

I am very lucky in that although I work in retail and on my feet, it's only two days and my boss is very supportive. Probably worries more than I do! I can sit when needed, take extra breaks, whatever I need. Risk assessments have been done very promptly. However even with that I have saved my holiday and I'm finishing at 31+2. It's exhausting, I'm sore and it takes a whole day afterwards to recover. What I would say, and this is a bit morally grey, is they can not force you to take mat leave before 36 weeks. So if they're not being supportive I'd say "screw them" and take some time off sick if you really needed to. You can always get signed off. They really haven't got a leg to stand on if they're not doing risk assessments which is a legal requirement.

contractor6 Sun 14-Jun-15 08:54:15

Finishing 27 weeks! Cannot wait, but am a contractor I wont get paid.

poocatcherchampion Sun 14-Jun-15 08:58:49

I'm 17 weeks (with dc3 which might be there difference as I'm used to it all) and have only really mentioned it to work so far - not really noticing it in my day to day job, and it feels so early. I haven't even thought about mat leave.

We've got 3 weeks hol in the summer booked; maybe yoy should use some of that annual leave to have a break and a rest to get you through until Oct/Nov - break it up a bit?

Ceejay14 Sun 14-Jun-15 09:25:12

I finished at 34 plus 5 (now 36), using up holiday and mat leave starts officially on due date. So glad I finished early as exhausted! My job has never been quiet and even the last 2 weeks I was still working 10 hour days plus 1.5 hours commuting each way. I had a couple of weeks of just working 3 / 4 days from 30 weeks which really helped me get through last couple of weeks, so recommend considering what others have suggested about booking in long weekends.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 14-Jun-15 09:30:38

I'm planning on going on until 36 weeks sad

CinnamonSweet Sun 14-Jun-15 19:44:45

With my 1st I worked up till a few days before my due date, but I felt great, have a desk job, a very supportive boss and work with a great bunch of girls, my 2nd I used up holidays so finished a month before (I wanted to enjoy plenty of 1:1 time with DS before baby came along)
This time I feel absolutely shocking, only 14 weeks, still being sick most days, beyond exhausted and can barely concentrate on anything other than trying to stay awake and not vomit in public, I am clinging onto the hope I will start to feel better soon.

CuppaSarah Mon 15-Jun-15 07:14:31

I'll be leaving at 36 weeks taking any holiday I have before that. I'm not booking anything in yet, as I'm only 11 weeks and if there's any complications ill leave much earlier.

MelB2014 Mon 15-Jun-15 11:51:45

I'll be going on as late as possible at the moment. We're finding it hard to recruit my maternity cover and I also want the time on the other side. I have a mainly office-based job 3 miles from home and can also work from home if things get tough so I figure it'll be alright. My EDD is October 8th and I am aiming to leave work at the end of September or perhaps one week before.

Glindathegoodwitch Mon 15-Jun-15 12:10:30

I am 10 weeks and seriously cannot wait. This is more than likely down to first trimester exhaustion as my job is not physically challenging in the least, sometimes mental energy draining but you know..

I am planning on working until 38 weeks. This means I will finish on Christmas Eve, take my compulsory Christmas leave until Jan 3rd, then start my maternity pay 6 days before due date. This thought makes me want to face plant my desk!! However, the past 6 weeks of knowing about my pregnancy now seem to have flown by. I am telling myself that before I know it, I will be slipping on my slippers on Christmas eve with a hot chocolate and mince pie in hand, knowing that I will not be going back to work for another year! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now