Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Been told may have to be induced at 38wks

(18 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Wed 10-Jun-15 22:58:41

Had my 32wk scan couple of days ago, and have been told I may be induced at 38wks due to having a lot of chest tightness/indigestion. Has anyone had this happen to them? They will give me a definite answer at my 36wks scan (first week of July)

If at delivery everything is okay, do me & baby get to come home? Or have to stay in hospital?

Whatabout Thu 11-Jun-15 07:39:15

At 38 weeks you are full term so no need to stay in unless medically needed.

Topsy34 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:41:57

Really? Sounds a bit odd.

You dont HAVE to be induced, you can opt not to be induced. I would ask the reasoning behind their thinking!

wecanmanagenow Thu 11-Jun-15 07:47:07

I was induced at 38 weeks because of severe itching. Had my baby at 5 in the morning and was home making bottles at 5 that evening

BikeRunSki Thu 11-Jun-15 09:03:58

Are you concerned about being induced, or about the baby homing at 38 weeks?

I can't comment on being induced, but 38 weeks is nothing to worry about. From 37weels you are considered full term, and many babies (kind included)come naturally at this time.

MumToBe2015R Fri 12-Jun-15 10:41:35

I'm just worried if it's safe at 38wks. But read up loads on this and looks like it is. Obviously everything will be normal and we can go home quickly. If they induce at 38wks is it still possible for Normal delivery? Or it has to he C-section?

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 12-Jun-15 10:47:02

Induction at 38 weeks is aiming for a vaginal birth. They don't induce before a planned section. A baby born at 38 weeks should be as healthy as a 40 _week baby. The last couple of weeks are putting on fat rather than any crucial development. It is safe and nothing to fret about.

MumToBe2015R Fri 12-Jun-15 10:59:02

Thank you Giddy

SnozzberryPie Fri 12-Jun-15 11:06:23

From the way you have phrased your op it sounds like they are inducing you because of symptoms which are causing you discomfort, rather than because of anything which could harm the baby. I would go back and clarify whether this is the case or whether your symptoms indicate an underlying condition which means that the baby is better off being born sooner.

If there isn't an underlying reason then personally I would decline the induction. Being born at 38 weeks is fine but I would prefer my baby to be born when she is ready, unless there is a good reason to do otherwise.

HazleNutt Fri 12-Jun-15 11:10:37

Just remember, as a previous poster said - it's only a recommendation and the decision is ultimately yours. I would also only agree to induction if there was a clear medical reason.

HelenF350 Fri 12-Jun-15 11:18:37

I am possibly being induced at 38 weeks due to spd. However I have done my research on induction and won't be agreeing unless my cervix is favourable. Do a little google searching about the risks and benefits of induction and make up your mind from there.

MumToBe2015R Fri 12-Jun-15 11:34:01

Tbh I don't think there is a medical reason. It's just discomfort. I rather I go on until the end unless of course its a danger to baby, which I don't want.

Will have more of a read into this

lagirafe Fri 12-Jun-15 21:10:44

Like others have said there's no issue with 38 weeks as it's full term.
However..... Being induced when you're not ready isn't ideal so if it's just for comfort you might want to think about it!

BatteryPoweredHen Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:54

Long term outcomes for children born at early term (37/38 weeks) are poorer than for those born at later term (39/40 weeks).

It is particularly the long term adverse effects on educational attainment amongst DCs born at early term that concern me.

If there is only discomfort to you, and no actual risk of harm to the baby, then I would really try to stick it out.

BatteryPoweredHen Fri 12-Jun-15 21:34:31

Source

BatteryPoweredHen Fri 12-Jun-15 21:37:54

This is another one worth reading...

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Jun-15 21:41:26

Are you in the UK? This sounds unusual here.

Induction protocols vary a lot between countries so may be helpful to consider your location.

MumToBe2015R Fri 12-Jun-15 22:18:05

My tightness is not bothering me at all, the consultant seemed concerned but I feel it's just baby getting bigger so it's pressure. Also I'm asthmatic so they feel it will get really out of control by 38weeks. Which is of course not gauranteed until we reach that stage. I rather go the whole time & have baby when it's time.

Yes Penguin I'm in the UK (london)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now