Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Emergency, next day, consultant appointment because baby's kidney MASSIVE at 20 week scan. Help!

(16 Posts)
Soscaredsoscared Wed 10-Jun-15 20:58:03

Namechanged to avoid outing.

20 week scan this afternoon. One kidney looked about 5 times the size of the other, maybe even more. Sonographer explained they'd normally just rescan at 28 weeks, but because this is SO big we need to be seen asap. Called for appointment in front of us and basically said needs to be seen NOW! sad

Really hoping to find others with experience or knowledge here - best and worst case scenarios. I'm trying to google but getting nowhere fast.

Help! sad

BreadmakerFan Wed 10-Jun-15 21:00:33

My baby had kidney problems but not as yours so can't help but wanted to wish you luck and hope everything goes well.

sophiaslullaby Wed 10-Jun-15 21:24:25

Also want to wish you well tomorrow. You're being seen by the experts as soon as possible and that'll hopefully make the world of difference. Try not to google and go looking for scare stories as they may well not be relevant to your case. Consultants are on to it and will do all in their power to look after you and baby. Google wont help, it'll stress you out without definitive answers. flowers

tattyteddy Wed 10-Jun-15 21:26:32

Wishing you the best for tomorrow xx

Soscaredsoscared Wed 10-Jun-15 22:12:31

Thank you everyone

jorahmormont Wed 10-Jun-15 22:14:22

Couldn't read and run, just wanted to wish you the best for tomorrow flowers

Fourarmsv2 Wed 10-Jun-15 22:21:25

My baby with similar problems is asleep upstairs. He's nearly 9.

We were told at the 20 week scan that the kidney abnormalities (both sides) pointed to some bigger problem but they didn't know what so referred for a scan the next day.

Turns out he has bilateral duplex kidneys and had a few kinks in his tubes. They predicted outcomes such as the kidneys failing and being re absorbed by the body etc etc.

He had lots of unpleasant (for me watching more than him) investigations for urinary reflux etc in the first couple of months, an op at 6m to sort out his kinks and since then (touch wood) nothing.

I've told him he's got a £40K insurance policy inside him ;)

Hope all turns out well and it's something similar or far less worrying. The only upside was lots of chances to see my wriggly baby at regular scans smile

Soscaredsoscared Thu 11-Jun-15 07:02:21

Thank you fourarms, that's really reassuring that it turnd out find - in the end at least. I'm just so scared of what they're going to tell me. I'm such a worrier as a baseline, the possibilities now are just boggling me. I know I just need to see what they say, but god I'm just so scared. sad

ceebelle83 Thu 11-Jun-15 10:36:33

Exact thing happened to me, was scanned again the next day. I was so scary after the 20 week scan as the sonographer can't actually tell you anything until the consultant has looked at it.

I had another scan at 28 weeks, and am in this afternoon for another scan...I'm 30 weeks.

There is literally nothing you can do and the worst that can happen really is that your LO might need a keyhole operation at some stage before the age of 5 to remove the offending kidney.

I'll come back this afternoon and let you know how I've got on with my scan.

PS there's a lovely Facebook support group called Multicystic Dysplastic Kidney (MCDK) www.facebook.com/groups/65554024119/

ceebelle83 Thu 11-Jun-15 16:28:03

Just had my scan. Consultant happy and she has very confidently given me the go ahead to have a home birth...so don't worry, it's often not as scary as it first seems.

How did you get on today OP?

Naturegirl82 Thu 11-Jun-15 17:28:42

soscared just wanted to wish you luck for your scan. It's impossible I know but please try not to worry until you've spoken to the consultant tomorrow.

Dd had a kidney abnormality picked up at 20 week scan but it wasn't until she was born that they could diagnose her properly and then it turned out she only had one kidney but is perfectly fine.

Soscaredsoscared Thu 11-Jun-15 18:39:06

Well phew is all I can say! Consultant says it's measuring 10mm, vs. 2.5 on the other side, so pretty big, but I think it could be worse. He seemed pretty relaxed about the whole thing and said he'd see me again at 28 weeks to see how it progresses. He said it could be that we go anti biotic/ watch and wait once born, or that it's a duplex kidney, which I haven't read up on yet, but that I THINK he was saying is a structural abnormality with little practical effect. I THINK... I was worrying about Down Syndrome having read it was a soft market, but he recalculated my risk, based on 12 week tests plus this marker and said still very low risk, so that's a relief too.

All a bit confusing really as it seems it seems there could be lots of possibilities, including surgery, but as you say nature, they can't be sure until after birth - another 20 weeks away!

ceebelle thanks for sharing too! and congrats on the all clear for home birth - I asked too as had lovely natural birth with DD and really wanted to replicate with this one if poss. smile Would be lovely to keep in touch to see how we both get on - are you having a boy too? When are you due?

Ahhhh, feel so much better than this time yesterday. Thanks all again for the kind words. smile

jorahmormont Thu 11-Jun-15 18:41:49

So glad you're feeling better and the scan went well soscared wishing you a very safe happy healthy pregnancy smile

Naturegirl82 Thu 11-Jun-15 19:15:46

soscared glad it went well and has put your mind at ease. DD has been on antibiotics since birth and is on a watch and wait till she is 3 when they will see if she needs surgery but you honestly wouldn't be able to tell anything.

Soscaredsoscared Thu 18-Jun-15 20:42:04

So I've been worrying wondering, if, best case scenario, it's a few scans and antibiotics in babyhood, what does that actually look like? I mean how do you administer antibiotics to a newborn (I couldn't even get Calpol into dd til she was 1!) and how do they scan them? Do you get to hold them the whole time or do they gave to lie on a table etc? Any other procedures likely?

Naturegirl82 Thu 18-Jun-15 22:04:27

sonscared it depends what scans they need. DD has had a scan where she was injected with dye and then scanned, she was held down with weighted bags for that one whilst I entertained her with toys. She's had quite a few ultrasounds now and for those I just try to hold her as still as possible. The sonographer are really understanding though. DD doesn't mind either to be honest although she does start to get a bit fed up near the end of the ultrasounds.

For DD we have always given antibiotics with a syringe. She has been having them since she was a few weeks old. I think because she has always taken them and she doesn't know any different we have never had a problem.

It's not been a problem for us to be honest and now she has scans every 6 months and antibiotics every night.

Have you been given any more information from the consultants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now