Talk

Advanced search

low lying placenta...anything I shouldn't be doing?

(9 Posts)
RockerMummy184 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:28:44

Saw my consultant today after my 20 week scan. She told me one of my placentas is very low and from now on to not have sex.

I was about to ask her if there was anything else I needed to be careful with, eg. lifting, exercise, etc. but she went off to go and speak to someone about booking me in for physio and never returned!

Anyone else had this and been given any advice on avoiding other activities? Or is it just the sex?

tattyteddy Wed 10-Jun-15 21:31:04

Just bumping this for you because I'd like to know people's experiences too.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 22:07:07

I wasn't given any advice at the time but I too avoided sex as that seemed to cause bleeds and we were both terrified. My biggest bleed (when DS had to be delivered) was when I was asleep in bed though, so I'm not convinced any bed rest or taking it easy would've prevented that to be honest.

RockerMummy184 Thu 11-Jun-15 10:20:41

How far were you when you had the bleed Abbey? I haven't had any bleeding yet, thankfully, but now I'm on edge that it will start.

tatty are you in a similar situation or just curious?

Skiptonlass Thu 11-Jun-15 10:28:21

I wasn't told to avoid anything ..., should I be? Mildly worried...

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 11-Jun-15 15:25:48

I had small bleeds at 11 and 19 weeks - always a week before the scan. Then nothing until 35 weeks which was the big one. I woke up and thought it was my waters but after looking at it realised it wasn't.

Moondancer146 Thu 11-Jun-15 20:49:44

I was put on what my doctor called pelvic rest which was no sex, no stretching, no bending, no sudden twisting and no lifting. That was only after 2 quite big bleeds at 17 and 18 weeks though

GoulashSoup Thu 11-Jun-15 21:03:56

I had placenta previa in my last pregnancy. This is the RCOG information sheet for patients. It only specifically mentions sex. I seem to remember being advised not to do anything like horse riding etc (as if with SPD). And towards the end never to be alone incase of a big bleed, but that was after the 32wk scan. They did advise me to try to get my iron levels up as much as possible, I think that is in the leaflet.

RockerMummy184 Thu 11-Jun-15 21:25:52

Thank you Goulash. The leaflet was very helpful. I am on iron due to having twins, and I am getting scanned every 2/4 weeks from now on so it's reassuring to know they will be able to keep a close eye on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now