Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really stupid question - how long did your growth scan take?

(11 Posts)
MrsAnxiety1 Wed 10-Jun-15 17:47:06

Just that, really. I'm not super keen on having one (long story) - it's done routinely here and would rather it be as fast as humanly possible. Did yours take long?

Two posts in one day - sorry ladies... blush

Teeste Wed 10-Jun-15 18:01:17

Aside from the interminable wait in our understaffed sonography unit - about 10 minutes, then the 5-10 minute wait for the write-up. They don't really point stuff out or spend time letting you look, like they do with the 12 or 20 week scans. It's much more business-like.

sarah00001 Wed 10-Jun-15 18:05:56

Hi, sorry to butt in. I haven't been offered a growth scan and I'm now 37 wks. My bump is huge and I'd really like one to know roughly how big the baby is. Should I have been offered one by now?

Thanks, Sarah

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 10-Jun-15 18:07:52

Sarah you'll only be offered one if your bump is measuring particularly big (or small) at your midwife appts and they're concerned. Have they expressed a concern?
The vast majority of people don't have them.

fanjodisfunction Wed 10-Jun-15 18:09:04

mine was about five minutes for the scan a further five of the consultant talking. so not that long but had to wait for a while before we were seen.

Purpleball Wed 10-Jun-15 18:09:26

About 15 mins then 10 mins for her to write it up and plot the charts
currently incubating a Buddha

sarah00001 Wed 10-Jun-15 18:13:39

Grotbag, thanks for your reply. I didn't realise that it wasn't a routine thing for all women. I'm measuring about a week and a half ahead (as of last week) so I guess they aren't too concerned.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 10-Jun-15 18:15:30

I think it's usually 2cms ahead that they refer you for a growth scan depending on the area. I've been a week and a half under all the way through and they're not concerned.

Flutterby24 Wed 10-Jun-15 18:49:04

I've had 2 - the scans themselves took around 10 mins, we just had to wait for the results to be explained to us afterwards although we already had an idea from the scan itself. Hope you're ok flowers

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 18:53:44

I've had one, although not to check growth, it was to check the placenta (but confusingly it's still called a growth scan). I think it took about 15-20 minutes but it depends what they're checking. And then I had to see the consultant after so the total time spent in the hospital was a few hours. Mine wasn't just checking growth though, which I guess yours is?

thesmallbear Wed 10-Jun-15 20:36:51

Mind was really quick. You don't see much of the baby either as they just measure a load of close ups e.g. of the head, stomach, spine etc. I think because the baby is taking up most of the room at that point anyway the picture isn't as clear as at the12 and 20 week scams.

Anyway, I didn't make a note of what time it was when I went in & what time it was when I went out, but it seemed really fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now