Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Blood loss sorry tmi. C section advice. What's normal?

(21 Posts)
Rebecca1608 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:53:36

I had my section 12 days ago. Had my 2 gorgeous girls. Was told by midwifes heavy blood loss would settle within a couple of days (giving i take it easy and allow myself time to recover) However with 2 babies it is hard. 12 days later and it's still gushing out. (Sorry tmi) but it's draining me. Is this normal or??

shitebag Wed 10-Jun-15 14:57:58

Congratulations grin

I bled quite heavily for about 10 days then settled down before stopping about 21 days post section.

Stevie77 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:02:33

It can be but its worth contacting your midwife. You're still under her care (should be up to 6 weeks pp), can you ask her to come and see you?

ZadokTheBeast Wed 10-Jun-15 15:06:34

Can only offer my own experience, which was minimal bleeding both times. Took about 2-3 weeks to stop completely though. I'd speak to MW I think. Hope it settles soon.

Haggisfish Wed 10-Jun-15 15:09:22

Minimal here, too. I'd call midwife and keep pads over a few hours.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 15:13:12

Mine took 8 weeks to go completely. When i spoke to the midwife she said the light lochia after a section is a myth and it varies a lot but not to worry unless I soaked a pad an hour. Do check in if you're worried though

chloechloe Wed 10-Jun-15 15:13:15

Congratulations! Speak to the MW. I bled for about 2 weeks but pretty lightly. After a CS they clean everything out so you usually bleed much less. Best getting it checked out to be on the safe side. I didn't pay much attention to the advice to rest either

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 15:18:21

I've also heard it can last longer with twins due to the 2 placenta sites, but only what I've heard - I've not had twins!

Rebecca1608 Wed 10-Jun-15 16:09:12

My twins shared a placenta they are identical. I'm quite worried as i'm really heavy. I started off heavy started spotting a few days later and now i'm heavier than i was straight after the section. My girls were originally in scbu and just got home so i've had no time to "relax and look after myself"

HesBeenAVeryNaughtyBoy Wed 10-Jun-15 16:11:38

Hello I had some heavy bleeding after ten days it turned out I had an infection. Not to worry you I had antibiotics and it cleared up really quickly. Speak to your midwife or call your GP.

Iwonderif Wed 10-Jun-15 16:51:11

Hi. Hope it settles down very soon for you as I know the "draining feeling" I've had 3 sections and bled for about 3 weeks in total but it got gradually less after about 10-15 days with all 3. If you're having to change your pads very very regularly or leaking through clothes too I would mention this to MW. Congratulations on the arrival of your daughters. Enjoy xxx

westcountrywoman Wed 10-Jun-15 16:57:43

I would call your midwife or GP for advice today if I were you. I think in most cases, blood loss is starting to settle after this long. If yours is still really heavy, or getting worse, then it's definitely worth a professional opinion.
Looking after newborns is hard work. You don't want to let this make things harder for you. Get it looked at now so you can get appropriate treatment ASAP if needed.

knittingirl Wed 10-Jun-15 17:02:02

Call your midwife. Far better to get checked and told you're fine, than not to get checked and miss something important.

Congratulations on your babies!

Rebecca1608 Wed 10-Jun-15 17:52:09

My midwife said something about discharging me from her care as everything was ok (at this point blood loss was settling) so.. stupid question- am i still ok to get in touch with her? Or just go to my GP it's just getting to my doctors is gonna be hard taking my girls with me. I hope it isn't an infection but i am changing pads really frequently.

SaulGood Wed 10-Jun-15 17:59:35

I think you could probably call your midwife. In fact you can probably call the hospital and ask their advice. The team there should be able to advise.

It is a myth that you bleed less after a caesarean. Regardless of them "cleaning you out", they are only removing what usually comes out during birth and delivery of the afterbirth. Lochia is bleeding that comes from the placenta wound (size of a dinner plate) and from the contracting down of the uterus. Along with a lot of other "stuff" left over from pregnancy. So in my case I bled for 7 weeks with my first caesarean and 12 days with my second. Just different experiences, different age, different recovery period.

Regardless, your loss should be slowing down by now and you probably need to be checked for retained products and infection. Persistent, heavy loss following any birth is going to make you feel utterly rubbish and you need to check if there's a reason and find out if you can slow things down a bit.

Many congratulations on the birth of your twins.

Haggisfish Wed 10-Jun-15 18:05:12

It's fine to contact your midwife still.

ToGrapefruit Wed 10-Jun-15 18:13:41

I would definitely get it checked out. I had a emcs, and I was bleeding heavily for a good couple of weeks and despite the midwife telling me it was probably fine, I felt that it wasn't as I was getting weaker and feeling awful. I had tummy pain when my tummy was pressed too.

My GP realised that it was not normal, the amount I was losing, and I was swiftly treated in hospital for retained placenta and infection. My midwife just didn't really listen when I tried to describe how much blood I was losing, which was annoying. The antibiotics worked very fast and I felt much better quickly.

You might NOT have an infection/ retained tissue though, it varies so much I gather.

Congratulations on your babies!

PattyODoors Wed 10-Jun-15 18:22:41

I had the same about 10/12 days post op, lucky hv made me an urgent Dr appt as it was a nasty infection. It dragged on for weeks mainly because I'd not heeded advise to rest. I'd ring mw or maternity unit.

Minniemouserocks Wed 10-Jun-15 18:28:51

Definitely get checked.

neversleepagain Wed 10-Jun-15 19:06:24

I had my twins in 2012 by c section and had very little blood loss afterward. My midwife said they sucked most the blood out during the c section. It was so little that I only went through one pack of maternity pads and a pack of normal pads, I probably only bled for 4/5 days and it was no worse than a heavy period.

I would ring your midwife to be on the safe side. Congratulations, twins girls are wonderful smile

ovumahead Wed 10-Jun-15 19:18:13

Definitely sign of an infection
I had this and left it for.too long and was then jn a lot of pain. Antibiotics cleared it up really quickly, got them.via the GP. Midwives can't prescribe so I'd go to the GP.
Congratulations by the way!flowers hope you feel better soon. And take some iron!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now