Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sma ready made Milk?

(13 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Tue 09-Jun-15 23:53:53

Husband is suggesting we take some sma ready made milk cartons with us to hospital incase I can't breastfeed. What's better, ready made sma of powder?

Also is the powder a hassle at the hospital.

shitebag Tue 09-Jun-15 23:57:55

Check with your hospital first as they may provide ready made formula should you require it.

Ours provide the little glass bottle feeds rather than the powdered stuff because they don't have a large area for mothers/staff to make bottles freshly when required.

ilovehotsauce Wed 10-Jun-15 00:00:41

I'd go for the ready made mini bottles but most hospitals have them if you have feeding issues, ask your midwife she will know. Also some babies react to sma as it can cause trapped wind and constipation, I'd either go for cow and gate or hipp organic (but look what they have in your local shop- makes life easier) hth

S2b16 Wed 10-Jun-15 00:16:55

I personally wouldn't bother if your planning on breastfeeding. All being well it will be a waste of money and hosp would have some in case of emergency.
I'm planning on breastfeeding and aren't buying anything (which I may regret) but now the supermarkets are open 24/7 I figure dp can nip out if need be but the temptation to give a bottle when I'm shattered or in pain won't be there. Just my opinion. This is dc 3, dd1 I breastfed for 6 weeks and dd2 only 2 days as ex said it was easier to bottle feed and I was in agony so gave in. Really regret both and wish I had support to breastfeed longer.

MummyPiggy87 Wed 10-Jun-15 00:24:03

I couldn't breastfeed and my hospital were awful about it, and had a right moan that I didn't bring my own ready made milk, and huffed about having to supply it while I was there! So I would deffo recommend taking your own x

Levismum Wed 10-Jun-15 00:29:28

Most hospitals make their policy on formula very clear.

Do is 16 months. The hospital where she was born only provided formula to NICU babies.

Personally I bought 1 box of pre made formula. I breastfed do for a year.

Good luck!

Levismum Wed 10-Jun-15 00:30:12

do = dd!

ChablisTyrant Wed 10-Jun-15 00:36:05

Yes do buy the little pre made glass bottles you can get in large supermarkets. Don't worry about brand - they are all much of a much-ness. Never heard the sma and wind problem before.
We gave our first some bottled milk in hospital because I was very ill after childbirth. The midwives huff and puff about it so just be strong if you decide to do it.

Archer26 Wed 10-Jun-15 00:38:31

I took some SMA cartons just in case. I never used them but handy to have in case breast feeding doesn't work out and you're in hospital a while.

Beckahjane Wed 10-Jun-15 12:05:11

Breast feeding didnt work out for me, my little man wouldnt latch then I got really poorly where I wouldn't have been able to feed anyway.
We had taken sma cartons with us but initially the hospital went a grabbed one of their own smile it's definitely handy as you don't know what could happen.

princessvikki Wed 10-Jun-15 13:30:35

Check with your hospital mine wouldn't allow powder because they had no steralising equipment. Little ready made bottles are best but if you plan on bf maybe just take 1 or 2 your eh can bring more if needed

youlemming Wed 10-Jun-15 13:38:33

I got the SMA cartons just in case as was going to breastfeed which thankfully went well for us.
They have a good date on them and we did use them at some point when we were going out for the day and couldn't be sure expressed milk would keep that long.
We found trying to use powder for the occasional time gave DD bad constipation and wind so never really moved onto it at all.
Just used the cartons until she went onto cow's milk.

BearAusten Wed 10-Jun-15 14:02:04

My son,when he was a few day old, had to be readmitted to hospital with dehydration. I was unable to produce hardly any milk. In the hospital, there was a huge store room of different types of formula milk. There was also sterilizing equipment for bottles and breast pumps.

Sma was suggested, so we stuck with that. My son, after the first feed, had no problems with Sma. Initially, we used a case of bottles which had a teat on top (no need for sterilization), when we got home we always used liquid milk for general ease (better when you are out and about).

I suspected that I might have difficulties producing milk due to health problems. No midwife would offer any advice of what to do if someone was not able to produce enough milk prior to my son being readmitted.

My son is now five. Really loves his milk. However, we found it very difficult to get him off Sma first stage. My husband, in particular disliked the strong, distinctive smell.

If you go for liquid - one problem we had now and again, is actually getting it. On occasions Boots, Sainsbuys, Tesco would all be out of stock at the same time.

I hope everything goes well for you. Do what you think is best, rather than be pushed into anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now