Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Work issues...

(7 Posts)
jurisane Tue 09-Jun-15 22:34:51

Ugh...I'm feeling very taken advantage of right now and need a little vent.

I was passed over for a promotion at work for the second time today and I feel like quitting my job. Both times I was told that I was the best candidate for the position but both times they gave it to someone else.

But I'm due in late October and the prospect quitting my job and looking for work while pregnant seems very irresponsible. Should I just wait until after the baby is born? What if the perfect job comes up before then? I'm a big fan of timing so this whole thing is really throwing me for a loop.

Part of me is really angry and part of me just wants to cry. sad

bebo100 Wed 10-Jun-15 00:01:48

legally they should be treating you equally to someone who's not pregnant, so if you are the best person for the job, it should have been yours.

the difficulty is trying to prove you've been discriminated against.

ACAS can give you free legal advice on your position if you decide to take it that way.

Personally, I think I wouldn't want the hassle and stress during pregnancy of trying to find a new job. Not sure what your maternity leave pay is like, but its often worth staying with the same company for that.

Who knows, maybe after baby you won't want to go back, or will only want to go back part time, so a less senior, less stressful job may be easier for you for you to pitch for a job share etc…

Totally understand why you are so angry about it though….

MummyPiggy87 Wed 10-Jun-15 00:22:13

How long have you been there?
If your entitled to maternity pay from them don't leave, if you get a new job they don't have to pay you unless you've been there something like 6-8 months? Just saying x

pinkie87 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:13:54

I can totally relate. I was passed over for a promotion a couple of months ago, and although I would never be able to prove it, I'm sure it's because I'm pregnant. It's the absolute worst feeling so I really feel for you.

If I were you (and this is what I'm doing) I'd stay for now. I'm going to stick it out until maternity leave, then start looking for a new job when I come back. I can't afford to lose out on the maternity pay.

Skiptonlass Wed 10-Jun-15 11:53:09

Stay for now. Nothing is stopping you from networking and looking for another job on your mat leave.

It is incredibly annoying - I've gone from being a rising star to bring totally sidelined - they day after I told my line manager she started taking responsibilities off me!

I get great mat pay and and leave so my attitude is sod them. I'm taking my mat leave, I'll come back and then move internally within the company to a department that isn't run by morons.

In an ideal world we'd be treated equally but in my experience there are times you need to just suck it up for a while and then make a move later on.

I'm due in October too smile

jurisane Wed 10-Jun-15 14:58:26

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will stick it out until after maternity leave. Its not a great maternity plan but its better than nothing.

Its just so hard for me to think about leaving since I've been with this company for 10 years and it used to feel like family. But if I stay I feel like I'll be saying I've lost all respect for myself. I don't want to "settle" for what I've got because its not enough for me to accomplish what I want in life. Two years ago my supervisor, who I loved, retired and since then it just hasn't been the same.

Last night I was so depressed and then the baby started kicking up a storm. She kept me up half the night but it made me feel a little better and helped put things into perspective. She's the most important thing now. Whatever I do will be for her.

babyblues19 Wed 10-Jun-15 18:11:31

I understand how you're feeling, I hate my job since I got pregnant as they great me differently and are always watching my work and picking at things which they never did before, I think they're doing it to get rid of me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now