Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting Prego and green tea consumption....

(8 Posts)
Rose58 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:24:58

Hope it's OK to post this in the pregnancy forum. We are just starting to actively TTC. How much green tea did you drink when trying? I drink 5 mugs a day and only some days one coffee. Is this too much cafine? So many different reports when you read into cafine content of green tea!!

LittleMissRayofHope Tue 09-Jun-15 22:29:21

Don't know about how much is too much wrt TTC, but thought my pregnancies and when breastfeeding I just bought decaf.
Can't tell the difference taste wise

TitusAndromedon Tue 09-Jun-15 22:37:47

I was drinking two or three cups of green tea per day before we started trying to conceive, but I cut it out because there is evidence that it interferes with your body's ability to absorb folic acid, which rather seemed to negate the effects of the tablet I was taking. I switched to rooibos tea, which is naturally decaffeinated and very good for you. It's lovely with or without milk.

Rose58 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:46:10

Thank you! I'm presuming (should never presume!!) peppermint is OK? I might switch to hot water and lemon and 2 cups of green tea per day.

Boco2 Thu 11-Jun-15 08:48:28

Hi,

The NHS website has v good guidance re caffeine. Hot water and lemon and a bit of herbal drinks - mint, camomile etc sound good. I echo decaf tea - really like it now and you can hardly tell the difference. Good luck!

goodnessgraciousgouda Thu 11-Jun-15 14:05:41

OP - there is absolutely no point changing your lifestyle when you are ttcing, unless you have a drug or alcohol problem. Seriously.

It could take you months to get pregnant - within six months is considered fast on average. I can't stress how depressing it is to be "acting" like you're pregnant (not drinking, cutting down on caffeine, etc) and then having your period arrive bang on time at the end of each month. I can tell you from experience.

What is the point in cutting out things that you enjoy (and aren't even bad for you), before it's necessary?

Please just go out and keep enjoying life now, and do everything you won't be able to do once you are pregnant (except maybe getting totally hammered). It is honestly so much more satisfying, and it helps to keep the pressure off of you as well whilst ttcing.

TuckingFablet Thu 11-Jun-15 14:09:48

I switched to peppermint tea and got hooked. I love the stuff grin

Nottalotta Thu 11-Jun-15 14:09:49

Ditto ^ It took me over two years to conceive. Thank god I didn't give stuff up. Especially wine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now