Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First doctors apt.

(4 Posts)
Frankie72 Tue 09-Jun-15 13:36:14

Hi gees,

I have my first docs apt tonight and just wanted to know what questions I really should be asking. I've heard docs can be a bit rubbish with the first apt and am already very very anxious about the pregnancy. I'm not sleeping due to over thinking and worrying plus bad constipation :-(!

Any gems? Ps I know very very little about how everything works :-((

mrstothemr Tue 09-Jun-15 14:01:03

Are you using this appointment to tell them that you're pregnant?

Ime gps have very few answers even if you've worked out the questions by then. The midwife appointment they set up for you will help more

As for actual questions, you could ask if you have a choice about which hospital's care you'd fall under (or if there's a choice), antenatal classes you could go to, where you go for your midwife appointments, diet, things like that. Not much will actually get done first time round, not sure my doc offered more than just congratulations

Sidge Tue 09-Jun-15 14:20:22

Very little will happen at a first GP appointment, and if you are normally fit and well with no medical issues you don't even need one - many areas you can self-refer directly to the midwifery team.

IME they won't be able to answer many of the things mrs posted above - the midwife will be able to tell you about antenatal classes, midwife appts and things like that.

The GP will want to know if you are smoking, taking folic acid and may take your blood pressure. They may ask about medications you take, any relevant family history and previous pregnancies. They are unlikely to do a pregnancy test if you have had a positive home test.

Congratulations!

mrstothemr Tue 09-Jun-15 14:32:32

Yeah, agree with sidge

If it helps, more time is available as you move forward in the pregnancy to chat over any worries you have

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now