Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

vitamin b12 deficiency and pernicious anaemia

(5 Posts)
samroberts2 Tue 09-Jun-15 09:13:11

hi im 34 weeks pregnant as a ftm. ive been told by the docs i need vitamin b12 by 5 injections. has anyone had this? and how was yourself and the baby?? xx

Foreverconfused Tue 09-Jun-15 09:19:50

I don't know how it would affect your pregnancy but I know a lady who has them regularly and says she feels a hundred times better , full of energy , motivation gone up etc....

hope123x Tue 09-Jun-15 12:00:08

Hi Sam

I've had b12 deficiency a few years ago before my first which was monitored through out pregnancy, now pregnant with my second I had blood test to check again, it came back I was deficient at 9weeks. I had the course of 5 injections which are safe during pregnancy and as pp said I felt loads better afterwards, had tons of energy! Me feeling so rubbish and exhausted in the first place is what made me ask for a blood test to check!

I was really worried the deficiency would cause problems for the baby especially as it was at such an early stage when you're supposed to be getting all the vitamins and the baby is developing etc! I spoke to my midwife, 2 doctors and a consultant (who I had to see about family medical history) and they all assured me the baby would be ok and it is extremely rare for the deficiency to cause any problems... I've also had two scans so far (I'm 17 weeks) and everything has check out ok!!

It's understandable to worry though, even after all the Drs telling me everything would be ok I still couldn't help but worry.

Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy, hope the injections make you feel better and you could notice a difference in your energy!!

Emz1989 Tue 09-Jun-15 23:30:25

Hey I've suffered with pernicious anaemia for a few years and have been having the b12 injections for quite some time. My midwife was quite unfamiliar with it and referred me to a consultant for the pregnancy. I met with the consultant who said that the injections are considered totally safe during pregnancy and that its important I stick to my 12-weekly doses throughout.
The pp is correct - I always feel quite 'low' when mine is due and feel almost instantly perkier after having it!b

MeDented Tue 09-Jun-15 23:32:31

I have these every 12 weeks (forever) they sting a bit going in and sometimes I feel a bit 'bleurgh' the following day but then feel much better, energy wise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now