Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to pack???? Help!!!!

(27 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Mon 08-Jun-15 16:18:52

Hi guys, im a first time mum to be so abit unsure. I've made a little list of what I think I will need. Please comment if you feel some things are not needed. Or need to be added.

Baby:-
5grows
Vests
Mittens
Socks
Blanket
Bibs
Face clothe/sponge
Towel
Going home outfit
Hat
Nappies
Wipes/cotton wool
Powder

Me:-
Nightie
Socks
Towel
Toothbrush/paste
Hairbrush/hairband
Shampoo/soap/wash
Deodorant
Nursing bra/briefs
Pair of leggings & top to go home
Car seat - hubby will bring it when we leave
Spare Tshirt for hubby
Snacks

Anything else? I've probably missed some essentials, getting very forgetful

Thanks

Newtobecomingamum Mon 08-Jun-15 16:24:57

Wow, think you have it all covered!! Powder, so you mean baby powder? I wouldn't use this on new born, you may wish to do some research.

Maybe wet wipes for you (you could always use the baby wipes) I found this useful for wiping my face but also just freshening up down below in between washing after birth when bleeding a bit.

Also, take something to read and maybe a mini hand fan as it gets bloody hot in the hospital birthing rooms!!

Best of luck X

excitedforbaba Mon 08-Jun-15 16:29:20

Lip balm! I think I successfully managed to use a whole tin of it whilst in hospital but then it was a whole week confused

Also moisturiser that can do face and hands as I found my hands very dry from the constant washing.

mmollytoots Mon 08-Jun-15 16:58:40

bring food like sandwiches etc seriously you will need it

HarvestMoon9 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:17:14

You'll also need some maternity pads for after the birth (prob a couple of packs in case you are kept in for a little while) and if you are planning to breastfeed, then a tube of Lansinoh is a good idea.

Good luck!

NerrSnerr Mon 08-Jun-15 19:19:23

Maternity pads, I was in hospital a couple of days and went through 2 packs. I also ate lots of sweets in my late night breast feeding sessions.

PotteringAlong Mon 08-Jun-15 19:20:15

No mittens - most babygros have them built in and they are much much more practical.

Moist toilet tissue for you. It's your first baby so you're just going to have to take my word for this one grin

Phone charger

Maternity pads - more than you reckon you'll need.

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 08-Jun-15 19:21:04

I'd pack breast pads too even if you don't plan on bfing. Mine still leaked like crazy when I ff. And some slippers or flip flops and a magazine or puzzle book

princessvikki Wed 10-Jun-15 08:22:04

Bounty come and take photos on the ward so take a special blanket or toy if u want them for your photo.
I also took make up and nail polish... Everyone said it as mad I wouldn't use it but I did and I was glad I did, it was nice to feel like me again.
And I book or Mag for when baby is sleeping... Hospitals are boring
Good luck with your new babygrin

applecore0317 Wed 10-Jun-15 08:34:11

Most baby grows have integrated scratch mits. Also you won't need socks or a face cloth and sponge for baby. I didn't wash her face till she was home and used Cotton wool and warm water smile Powder isn't needed either as they recommend not using anyrhing but water on your baby initially.

One thing I packed for labour which was recommended to me was a large plastic cup (can get them in home bargains and aldi) with a lid on and a straw that went down to the bottom of the cup. It made it much easier to keep up my fluid intake in labour and didn't have to move my head much to drink.

Sugary snacks for after the birth to boost your blood sugar.

Boots maternity pads were great as really soft and didn't irritate my stitches smile I also took a lightweight dressing gown.

Stinkersmum Wed 10-Jun-15 08:38:35

No powder. No socks - if your baby is in a sleepsuit/babygro you won't need them. No wipes (unless water wipes, but cotton pads and warm water are best for a newborn).

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 09:25:25

As others have said maternity pads are essential.
Also depending on how you are feeding the baby you might need bottles or nursing bras or breast cream etc.
I found a water bottle a great help as it was really far to the water machine to get a tiny cup.
I don't think you'll need a going home outfit as when you are discharged it's time to go. I guess it depends on the hospital but mine were pretty speedy chucking us out, after 8 days in!
Your maternity notes are a must
Not essential but I really liked having moist toilet tissue
I assume you're planning a vaginal birth? Others can advise on that if you are but I hear things like water spray, flannel etc are good. I had an unexpected emcs so I'll be chucking in some very cheap big pants just in case, but again not essential, people can bring you them if needed.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 09:28:48

Camera! And charger. You'll want those first pictures
Phone and charger

Squidge14 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:41:43

I massively over packed my bag! in reality I only needed a fraction of what I anticipated (but I had lots of fun getting the bits and packing them and repacking 5 times!!)

I think you have covered most of the essentials but I would add a water jug to pour on your bits when you go to the toilet after the birth, I also used this whilst I was bleeding for the few weeks after the birth every time I went to the toilet, I had stitches so couldn't wipe properly (sorry for TMI!) so was very handy for me!

And I second maternity pads - lots of them, I had to double up!

Good luck smile

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Wed 10-Jun-15 23:07:12

Not sure about anything else as I'm months away from packing a bag myself but I always take frozen bottles/cartons of juice & water when I'm visiting people in hospital. The water jugs have usually been sitting out for hours, are warm & taste a bit rank...

MummyBexta Fri 12-Jun-15 18:38:13

When I was on tour of maternity ward the midwife commented that wool hats are best for baby when born. I've been looking online and all woolen hats look so chunky. She said cotton ok but wool preferred. Thoughts? Thanks

MissTwister Fri 12-Jun-15 20:17:25

My hospital list says 'outdoor clothes' for baby. What does this entail in July/ August?! I looked online and all newborn clothes are just vests, sleep suits etc

Stinkersmum Sat 13-Jun-15 08:26:00

Um, I would imagine a jacket or coat......

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 13-Jun-15 08:33:26

MissTwister I've gone for a thick knitted/lined cardigan for mine due in July.
DD was born in November and that was much easier clothing wise than planning for a summer baby IMO!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 13-Jun-15 08:34:53

www.mothercare.com/White-Hooded-Cardigan/LE1062,default,pd.html

This is the one I've bought.

Artandco Sat 13-Jun-15 08:39:34

Look on 'mama owl' for nice woolen products ideas.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 13-Jun-15 08:42:49

I just tucked a light blanket/shawl type thing over my summer babies to bring them home.

You probably won't need socks/mittens/powder/wipes. A muslin or two might be handy though.

And for you, some really big cotton pants, a good couple of sizes bigger than usual. Cheap black ones you can chuck afterwards. Flip flops essential too.

MissTwister Sat 13-Jun-15 09:30:22

Thanks both - that cardigan looks great, very cute!

My hospital has told me to bring 4 bras which seems a bit excessive doesn't it? Was only going to buy 2 nursing bras - I have massive boobs so have to get from Bravissimo where they're like £40

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 13-Jun-15 09:53:51

My hospital hasn't even given a list, the best thing to do is just use common sense. I'm not buying loads of nursing bras until the baby is a couple of weeks old as your boobs fluctuate a lot in size. I only own 2 so definitely won't be taking 4.
Also unless there are complications you don't tend to stay in for long so 4 bras would be excessive (I was there for 3 hours after DD was born!). I would pack fairly minimally (you don't get much space at the hospital) but leave a pile of stuff at home that someone can grab for you quickly in case you end up staying in for longer.

5YearsTime Sat 13-Jun-15 10:04:02

OP pack more for your husband. Toothbrush for a start. Change of pants and socks. I completely overpacked and we ended up using it all!

Also I would recommend getting bras from hot milk but don't buy 4! Wait until your boobs have settled a bit because you don't know what size you will be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now