Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough vaccine in pregnancy

(20 Posts)
CakeInMyFace Mon 08-Jun-15 15:25:01

I’m 26 weeks pregnant and I understand that between 28 to 32 weeks the whooping cough vaccine is offered. I’m normally very much pro-vaccination and I myself pay to get immunised against the flu every year as well. However, for some reason having a vaccine while pregnant is making me nervous. I’ve had a read and looks like low risk, but just wanted to see if most pregnant women are getting this now? It wasn’t offered when I was pregnant with DD1 but she is nearly 4 so it was a while ago I was pregnant.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 08-Jun-15 15:27:25

I've had it both times (currently 36 weeks). Each to their own but I know someone who's baby contracted whooping cough at 2 weeks old and very nearly didn't survive.

Hippymama1 Mon 08-Jun-15 15:28:26

I had it - they give you the children's dose not the adults dose if that helps you feel any better about it...

I am also pro-vaccination but shared your apprehension - I discussed it with my midwife, GP and the practice nurse who gave me the injection and felt much better after speaking to them so maybe make an appointment to discuss it with your GP?

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Mon 08-Jun-15 15:46:47

Yep. Booked in for a few weeks time. It makes me nervous too - just because it's a bit of an unknown quantity. But weight that against the very known risk of whooping cough . . .

sianihedgehog Mon 08-Jun-15 15:49:51

Yes, absolutely get it, it's to protect the baby. I didn't even get a bruise with mine!

NerrSnerr Mon 08-Jun-15 15:50:14

Yes I had it. The risk of the baby not having immunity when born was too risky for me. Whooping cough is hugely dangerous to newborns.

Fanby Mon 08-Jun-15 15:52:18

I'm exactly the same as you, and for that reason declined the flu jab this year when I was pregnant. However definitely having the whooping cough vaccine (next week in fact!). Good luck and wishing you a pain free arm if you go ahead smile

Teeste Mon 08-Jun-15 16:25:37

I had it, sore arm and a bit of tiredness for a few days, nothing more alarming than that. Baby has been fine since. They have started offering it as standard since the outbreak a few years ago, as a precaution. I'd definitely get it.

LBOCS Mon 08-Jun-15 16:38:56

I had the vaccine. I also got whooping cough (I think I'd been exposed before I had the vax). Please do seriously consider taking it, it's horrific being that ill when you're heavily pregnant/newly post-partum - and it will protect your newborn who could develop life threatening complications if they get whooping cough very young. They medical community are very risk averse about ANYTHING extra medically in pregnancy - the fact that they're offering this demonstrates that the benefits must be great.

BoysiesBack Mon 08-Jun-15 16:44:49

I had it in my last two pregnancies, no ill effects at all with the exception of a slightly achy arm for a couple of hours.

I did get whooping cough as a child, I was very ill and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Fortunately, it hasn't left me with long term issues, not everyone is as lucky. I would urge everyone to have the jab.

Skiptonlass Mon 08-Jun-15 16:49:12

Definitely take it. I understand that being pregnant makes you risk averse but this really is all benefit.

I had whooping cough as a child and almost died. It's a very nasty bug indeed. And undergoing somewhat of a resurgence as the anti vaccine crowd ge their claws in... sad

MissTwister Mon 08-Jun-15 16:51:05

Have it as babies have died from the mothers not having it. I had it the other week, fine, no bruise even

CakeInMyFace Mon 08-Jun-15 16:54:50

Thanks for the replies. Its definitely reassured me. My dd will be starting school when baby comes so our exposure risk could be high. I'll ring my gp to get myself booked in!

WiIdfire Mon 08-Jun-15 16:55:18

Be aware that it comes as a 4-in-1 vaccine with diptheria, tetanus and polio.

I had it, the benefits outweigh the risks as far as I can see. No problems here with the injection itself.

pinkie87 Mon 08-Jun-15 16:55:32

I'm 28+3 now and have not been offered it, in fact it hasn't been mentioned at all. I take it I can just ask the midwife? Or book straight in with a nurse?

Sidge Mon 08-Jun-15 17:04:18

pinkie87 your midwife should have informed you about it. Call your GP surgery and book in with the practice nurse.

Infant deaths from pertussis (whooping cough) have dropped to virtually nil since the introduction of the vaccine in 2012.

This is a helpful webpage IMO

Frolicacid Mon 08-Jun-15 18:19:35

I've had it. I have horrible memories of being in hospital and almost dying of whooping cough when I was about 5. I can't even think about exposing a newborn to that.
My arm was painful for a few days after, but it's not a live vaccine, so no other side effects.

Tranquilitybaby Mon 08-Jun-15 19:38:41

I felt very wobbly about it as you are. In the end I had it at 34 weeks, just in case it caused me to go into labour or something. Having had two losses last year, the nurse was very understanding about it and reassuring.

rubyred84 Mon 08-Jun-15 23:09:23

I am definitely having it. I had whooping cough myself about 4 years ago and it was one of the worst illnesses I have ever experienced. the feeling of not being able to take a breath is awful and so scary, and I actually cracked a rib from the force of the coughing. I can't imagine s little one going through that, so that's what made my mind up.

Nottalotta Tue 09-Jun-15 05:55:25

My midwife didn't mention it at all but I had seen the posters up at the clinic. I asked about it when it hadn't been mentioned by my 28wks appointment and was told to book in with the nurse at the GP. I had it last week at 31wks. Injection itself was fine but did bruise and my arm ws sore for several days.

There ws an increase in whooping cough a few years ago hence the drive to vaccination again. Its deadly to newborns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now