Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How do you hide it in work???

(29 Posts)
WizardSong Mon 08-Jun-15 12:58:54

I'm 4+3 but already my trousers/jeans are too tight! My button on my trousers popped open today walking to the printer! shock

How am I going to manage keeping it quiet until 12 weeks?!?! My trips to the loo have already doubled!

Please share your wisdom with me!

Lagoonablue Mon 08-Jun-15 12:59:46

Buy bigger clothes? IME people usually guess anyway.

misscph1973 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:01:48

You can't. People will guess. If you buy bigger clothes, they will definitely guess. So don't worry. Just enjoy it, and make bets with your friends about who at work will comment first.

WizardSong Mon 08-Jun-15 13:05:33

Lol grin

I told everyone at work when I was 9 weeks with my last DC because I had to go to the EPU, luckily everything was fine but I was so relieved and hag a wee scan pic so just told everyone.

I would like to keep it quiet until my first scan but that's unlikely in such a close office!!

Need to buy bigger clothes this weekend I think..

CandyAppleFudge Mon 08-Jun-15 13:17:21

When I'm not working from home and in the office I wear baggy cardigans, baggy tops. No one seems to have noticed yet.

HazleNutt Mon 08-Jun-15 13:21:13

Baggier clothes, people don't pay that much attention to others really. Can always complain that you need to diet, if anybody mentions anything.

Queenofknickers Mon 08-Jun-15 13:22:15

Floaty scarves worked for me until uncontrollable vomiting outed me....

originalusernamefail Mon 08-Jun-15 13:22:42

HG and mega bloat in a ward full of medical peeps - no hiding it for me! grin

f1fan2001 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:46:03

Ha my boss did not believe I was pregnant when I told him at 5 months so it is possible. I just told people I was eating too much chocolate and drank loads of water to excuse the trips to the loo. I know some people suspected as I was getting lots of comments about when was I going to have a baby with my partner. I just said - we are trying!

As others have said baggy clothes are a godsend. We had to wear a polo shirt for work and I just teamed it with skirts with expanding waists. Not the most classy look but it worked

Carltonlives Mon 08-Jun-15 13:47:07

Baggy tops and loose cardigans really. Although if you are usually a tight fitting kinda girl then suddenly start wearing tents in sure that will raise suspicion more.

Wizard come and join us on the feb antenatal board!! (Sorry I can't link I'm on my phone)

chocolateyay Mon 08-Jun-15 13:48:54

Smock or large floaty blouses? I thought I was doing a brilliant camouflage job until my team cornered me and asked outright.

Raffertys Mon 08-Jun-15 14:00:22

I'm going for the floaty look I'm a whale at six weeks and probably fooling no one

jurisane Mon 08-Jun-15 15:08:15

I cut all my hair off in a cunning plot to distract them all from noticing that I was getting fat. wink Not sure if it really worked but I'm 20 weeks now and no one has said anything (maybe they are all just too polite to mention it). My hair was well past my shoulders and now it is boy-short. Bonus: I was able to donate my hair it to Locks Of Love.

But seriously, get a Bella Band. It will help you continue to wear your current pants for much longer and save you money in the long run. For tops just make sure they are long or empire-waisted. Jackets can also help disguise a bump.

Skiptonlass Mon 08-Jun-15 15:18:36

You might be surprised at how unobservant people are. I was sure that everyone in my office knew but apparently not. Even though I was puking several times a day and so fat I was in maternity pants ....

I fainted and the one person who saw twigged immediately. He also brought me a sandwich and swore secrecy - I told everyone else after the 13 week scan and they were genuinely surprised.

WizardSong Mon 08-Jun-15 16:17:14

Thanks for your replies! Think a wee shopping trip is in order..

I'm certain people will be able to guess soon but maybe that's just my paranoia! smile

Will head over to the Feb antenatal board if I can find it! grin

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Mon 08-Jun-15 17:39:44

In our office we over share most days anyway so when I was cramping in the beginning I just moaned about that & being bloated. People assume time of the month - helps that my uniform is pretty baggy anyway. I've only told a couple of people at work, I'm 12 weeks & don't think anybody else suspects yet.

WizardSong Mon 08-Jun-15 18:58:53

I'm wishing away the weeks, really wish I was 12wks and it was time for my first scan!

Gr33dyeggs Mon 08-Jun-15 19:02:54

Skirts/dresses and baggy jumper. I told at 14 weeks and people hadn't guessed due to size more how green I looked!

guineapig1 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:03:32

Baggy/floaty tops, long line cardigans, long float scarves, maxi dresses... hid it till 20 weeks both times!

WizardSong Mon 08-Jun-15 20:37:01

Think people will be suspicious when I get kitted out in a new work's wardrobe but tbh it's long overdue! And really need some comfort since I'm so bloated.

HelenF350 Mon 08-Jun-15 20:48:28

Loose cardigans. Just complained I was cold all the time! Although that works slightly better in winter. I can't believe no one twigged to be honest. x

HelenF350 Mon 08-Jun-15 20:49:37

The x at the end of that was a mistake, had just been texting! Oops!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 08-Jun-15 21:09:09

I'd stick to your usual clothing style as long as possible. I think maternity clothes make women look more pregnant.
If you're talking to someone at their desk, sit down - if your bump is in their face for a while they notice.
Pregnant women often over-excuse e.g. elaborate stories about why they aren't coming to the pub, so keep it simple
Try and keep your posture straight

Most people really don't notice. I only got busted in my first pregnancy by women that had recently been through it.
In my second I think people assume it's baby weight from the first, although I got complimented on losing the weight from DS today....when I'm 19+4 with DC2!

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Mon 08-Jun-15 22:08:57

Wizard it'll be here soon enough I promise smile It feels like I just found out 5 minutes ago & now my 13 week scan is only a week away.

But the first few weeks were definitely torture counting down the days.

Nottalotta Tue 09-Jun-15 06:05:26

People don't notice ime. I felt rotten during the first trimester, exhausted, constant jaw breaking yawn at my desk, and nausea. Went off chocolate and had to refuse the constant supply being handed round. Can remember letting out groans when i felt so sick and tired. Still no one noticed!

You are (well i was) uber sensitive to
it at such an early stage,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now