Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone had a sweep?

(13 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Mon 08-Jun-15 10:25:01

I was adamant that I wouldn't have one but I'm now 40+3 and getting fed up.

I'm apparently 3cm dilated, I've had a blood stained show, I was getting mild contractions all day yesterday but now nothing. I've tried natural methods. I'm considering booking in for a sweep to try to get things moving. I'm planning a home birth so really don't want to go too overdue.

Has a sweep worked for anyone? How painful/uncomfortable is it?

Elledouble Mon 08-Jun-15 10:31:14

I went into labour the day after my second sweep (when I was 40+3). I was 1-2cm dilated at the time.

I won't lie, it was fairly painful, but I was fed up and ready to go! I don't know if it was the sweep that did it, I did a lot of bouncing on the gym ball and sniffing some clary sage as well.

lilac3033 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:19:07

I started properly contracting 2 hours after my sweep. I was fully effaced and 1-2cm dilated. It wasn't painful just a bit of pressure. My midwife said it is less painful the more effaced/dilated you are, which makes sense as it will be quicker and easier for them to do.

Raffertys Mon 08-Jun-15 11:40:00

I went into labour the day after my second sweep. I was 41+6.

Hophop987 Mon 08-Jun-15 12:04:58

I was 3cm dilated and had a sweep hoping it will start labour,however it did not work for me. I did not find it painful though. It's worth a try and fingers crossed for you!

Phryn Mon 08-Jun-15 13:27:40

I've just had a sweep (at 40+2) so can't comment on the outcome yet but it was painless, just a little uncomfortable for a very short period of time. My midwife said my cervix was very soft, opening and favourable which sounded like it helped. Now waiting to see what happens next!

Pyjamaramadrama Mon 08-Jun-15 20:05:59

Thanks all. I've decided it's worth a try so I've booked in for one.

Good luck Phryn, please let me know how you get on.

I'm getting frustrated even though I know it's still early on. Didn't think I'd go over.

Ohbollocksandballs Mon 08-Jun-15 20:10:09

I had 3 and it fecking hurt. Midwife said first 2 would probably be unsuccessful after she had done them. Third one she said was a lot better (more favourable I'm assuming) went into labour the following morning.

willbillycome Mon 08-Jun-15 20:21:45

I had a sweep at 40+2, uncomfortable but not painful. Pretty much exactly 24hrs after I was holding ds, he just needed a wee prod to remind him he was meant to be joining us. Good luck x

DrCoconut Mon 08-Jun-15 20:23:08

I had one but I was in well established labour at the time. They thought it would "hurry things along a bit" confused. I was not happy as I had only consented to a VE and was not expecting a horribly painful sweep. But pre labour I guess it is different. I have had a swab taken twice, once in established labour and once while not even pregnant any more. First time was awful, second painless. So the state of your cervix at the time is definitely a big factor!

LolaStarr Tue 09-Jun-15 15:16:58

I had one at 40 weeks exactly, I was already 2cm dilated. I found it more uncomfortable than painful really. I went into labour the following evening. Good luck!

berrypicking Tue 09-Jun-15 15:55:16

I had a sweep at 40+5 and I was already dilated 3cm but midwife managed to stretch it to 4cm. I went into labour two hours later! I didn't find it painful.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 09-Jun-15 15:59:34

Wow I'm surprised to hear quite a few positive sweep stories but that makes me feel much more positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now