Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Awful rib pain on left side

(9 Posts)
Shantotto Mon 08-Jun-15 09:53:03

For the last few weeks I've been getting rib pain on the left side. It is ok when I lie out flat, and seems to trigger after walking for 15 mins or so of sitting on a bus / tube then doesn't go until I can lie out flat. It varies from a constant soreness to really bad pains that stop me in my tracks. I've been struggling as it starts half way through my commute usually and sitting at my desk I'm in so much discomfort I'm useless.

Mentioned it to a midwife who suggested sciatica and that I can get a physio referral. I wasn't sure that was right as that's back / leg but assumed she knew what she was talking about. After having to give up and go home on way to work I went to GP who obviously said she was wrong it's just what happens and I need to take paracetamol 4 times a day. Well this doesn't shift the pain at all.

Ok this is getting really long, so has anyone had this and did anything help? The stretches and positions I've seen help a little but as soon as I stop its just the same - I can't spend all day on all fours!GP did say if it continues and it's so painful he could sign me off, but I feel guilty and like I should be coping / putting up with it as its 'normal'. Just had a week off and am dreading trying to get to the office tomorrow. I'm only doing two more weeks before I start mat leave, but I don't know whether to ask for the rest of the week off with a GP note and go in next week to mop up and handover or just try and put up with the pain. And I was doing so well until now! This is all a bit garbled but any thoughts appreciated!

MissTwister Mon 08-Jun-15 13:06:16

Hi Shantotto

I don't have it as badly as you but I do have a quite painful left rib. Worse when I lean forward and wear a bra (which is a necessity!) better when I lie down. I think it unfortunately is normal, although that doesn't mean it's any easier to deal with....mine feels like a buzzing/burning a lot of the time.

Shantotto Mon 08-Jun-15 13:25:21

I think that's my issue - it's normal so I should just be putting up with it and carrying on! It seems to be spreading to stabbing pains across the top of my bump. It's so uncomfortable! I suppose it's only for me to decide if its bad enough to stay home. Thanks and hope yours isn't too bad!

weelamb123 Mon 08-Jun-15 14:17:31

I feel up pain! I've had this since about 20 weeks (approaching 34 weeks now). It's unbearable at times isn't it? Self refer u r self to physio and go see GP for painkillers. I cant walk or stand for long before the pain sets in.
As for walk, have u had a risk assessment?

weelamb123 Mon 08-Jun-15 14:18:50

Sorry, stupid predictive text! Have u had risk assessment in work? Another good remedy are non medicated heat packs. Xx

Shantotto Mon 08-Jun-15 14:34:06

I've not had a risk assessment at work - seemed to think I don't need it as I just sit at a desk, but sitting is so painful!

I did go to GP about physio referral but he said there was nothing physio could do for rib pain and told me to take 2x paracetamol 4 times a day which doesn't do anything to ease it! I am seeing physio for my dodgy knees and hips so will mention to her on Friday.

Am going to attempt work tomorrow, if I can manage the bus journey will try and get heat pack on the way.

caffiene99 Mon 08-Jun-15 14:58:40

I had this with my first baby/pregnancy.

Towards the end of the pregnancy I had almost constant rib pain when sitting or standing. It only went away when I lay down.

In my case it was just the baby pushing up against my ribs - he didn't have much room so was squeezing my rib cage.

I took two weeks off work before he was born and would tidy for half an hour, then lie down for half an hour. It disappeared when baby was born.

Hopefully some of the other suggestions here might help if lying down isn't an option for you!

silversixpence Mon 08-Jun-15 15:10:19

I have had this in all three pregnancies. It seems to be called rib flare but I couldn't find much about it online. It started around 5-6 months in and was always in the same area on the left side of my back. There wasn't much I could do other than to lie flat, and as that wasn't always practical, I sometimes had to suffer! It also helped to put my left arm behind my back (as though doing up a bra) as it seemed to ease the pressure. It always goes after the baby's born.

ohhello Mon 08-Jun-15 15:34:43

Sounds like rib flare, where ribs move outwards to make space, normal but bloody hurts!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now