Advanced search

Placenta previa? Any experiences?

(8 Posts)
theaveragebear1983 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:22:55

I'Ve found out at 21 weeks that I have posteria placenta previa (although they technically don't diagnose it until 32 weeks) - placenta is fully covering 'the exit'. Was considering vbac but now i'm just wondering how likely this is - does anyone have any experiences/ advice to share?

KittyBennett Sun 07-Jun-15 20:25:57

Not at all likely if it's covering the exit.

BewilderedAndAngry Sun 07-Jun-15 20:28:58

If it's covering the opening completely not terribly likely, but you won't know until you are rescanned at 32 weeks.

I was not diagnosed until I was 25+ weeks gone with DS2 and managed to not deliver until he was 31+ weeks (he's now 11 yo), I was in hospital from my first bleed onwards because I kept bleeding.
As long as you don't bleed, apart from a CS, your baby is likely to be fine.

capecath Sun 07-Jun-15 21:01:48

21 weeks is still early days and still a good chance of it moving. However if fully covering, you are more at risk of bleeding at least until it moves, if it moves.... They say most do move up, however mine was only touching and did not move! Some don't have any bleeding but I did and ended up needing cs at 34 weeks after 5 hospital visits. Baby all ok though. Assume you get another scan at 32 or 34 weeks? Don't have intercourse and do any vigorous exercise (like high impact aerobics or horseriding)!! But otherwise there is only so much "taking it easy" you can really do. There was no stopping my bleeding no matter how "easy" I tried to take it...

princessvikki Wed 10-Jun-15 07:58:56

I'm 30 weeks and have anterior low placenta. I had a growth scan at 28 weeks and the lady said only 5% don't move so you have every chance that it will move up in time. You will get another scan around 34 weeks because by then it's to late to move so it's just waiting till then really .

HellKitty Wed 10-Jun-15 08:05:27

I was diagnosed with PFB and told that I'd have to have a C section. Moved house and registered in a new area, huge teaching hospital, rescanned later and told I'd be able to give birth naturally. Long labour, placenta ruptured and I lost a lot (litres) of blood. I'd double check everything.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 09:36:27

It depends where it is at your next scan, but if it's within 2cm of the exit then they advice a caesarean. If you have full coverage and it doesn't move there's nothing else they can do.
Mine was touching at 20 weeks, low but almost 2cm clear at 33 weeks and out the exit at 35! So unfortunately it's very unpredictable.
Hopefully you'll be fine but I'd pack a bag of stuff for you in case you're admitted with bleeding as if that happens you might be on bed rest for a little while.
They advise pelvic rest but my biggest bleed was in bed at night so I wasn't doing anything at the time!
I had DS at 36 weeks by emcs after a bleed at 35

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 10-Jun-15 09:43:07

And if it has moved at 32 week scan but is still near I'd advise insisting on another scan to check. As previous posters have said, they say it can't move after that point, and it can only move up but that's not true - mine did - most don't but it's certainly possible. Most move up but mine moved down between 33 weeks (when I was almost ok for a VB!) and 35 weeks. I was due another scan at 36/37 anyway but never made it to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now