Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Im going to have to announce pregnancy before I want to because I'm so f**king huge :(

(12 Posts)
Wishful80smontage Sun 07-Jun-15 10:11:13

Sat in tears.
Second dc on way which we are very happy about.
Timing is good as I'm being made redundant at end of June and will be able to afford 3 years off.
Wanted to finish work and then announce pregnancy (I'd be 16 weeks). I'm signed off work with stress so I havnt seem anyone from work since I've got big.
But I'm big now 13 weeks I've gained 8 pounds already and my stomach is huge. People are guessing and asking my family if I am so more people know than I wanted right now. I don't want people to be hurt that I've not told them and they've found out from someone else- so I'm going to have to announce it next couple days.
So frustrating as I would have been able to wait if I wasn't so massive and avoided stress from work

LaurieFairyCake Sun 07-Jun-15 10:13:13

Why would your work give you stress with only 3 weeks left

Bastards flowers

Wishful80smontage Sun 07-Jun-15 10:22:49

Thanks Laurie I know it's daft but I don't want any more hassle from
Work I've had months of organising my redundancy package and think they start communication once they hear I'm pregnant.
I wanted to finish, have the money in the bank and then announce but it's not likely plus my oh really wants to tell everyone he's bursting with excitement

Wishful80smontage Sun 07-Jun-15 10:31:57

*They will

Chickenandpenguin Sun 07-Jun-15 12:25:00

Just don't announce it regardless of how big you are. Tell friends Etc and ask them to keep it quiet. Then wear big loose clothes for a few more weeks. I've been massive since week 6 and now 14 weeks and massive but Noones said anything directly to me. Think they're just assuming I'm getting fat smile

Wishful80smontage Sun 07-Jun-15 15:24:28

Thank you both I've calmed down a bit now think I will try to wait it out only a few more weeks to go smile

Wishful80smontage Sun 07-Jun-15 15:38:33

And congrats chicken

CuppaSarah Sun 07-Jun-15 15:39:57

I know it sounds daft, but have you thought about padding your bra? That way you'll look like your gaining all over not just on your tummy. Plus bigger boobs hide the bump better. I'm so sorry work are making you feel so bad. Not long now till you're free flowers

CuppaSarah Sun 07-Jun-15 15:43:17

Also if you are off from stress, gaining weight wouldn't be unusual. People comfort eat. If anyone says anything, look down silently and say quietly 'no, I'm not. Is it really that bad?' Make no eye contact just look down and stop what you're doing. No one else will dare ask. Call it revenge for them making you stressed.

TheMidnightHour Sun 07-Jun-15 15:51:17

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds awful. I'd say don't announce if you don't want to - they can hardly ask, and if they do brush them off! (perhaps 'when I have news like that for you, I'll let you know'?)

Your work don't have a right to know, particularly if you're being made redundant so soon.

I'd say, if you do have to see work people, dress to look fat (rather than pregnant, not very flattering I know but possible) and moan about something tangentially related as camouflage (how DC1 never finishes a plate and you've put on pounds eating their leftovers or how you never have time to hit the gym since you had kids or how XXX (not the gap you're expecting) is the perfect one for kids) and create a bit of confusion - they probably won't dare ask.

I've only had 1 person ask directly if I was pregnant, in 27 weeks, and it's not been subtle for a while! I did hide it as work as it was a short-term contract. Tube dresses & tents all the way! Looked like a sausage, but not a pregnant one. Good luck!

Chickenandpenguin Sun 07-Jun-15 20:01:47

Thanks smile agree with fat dressing not pregnant dressing. I look bloody awful - especially as had lost a lot of weight since last baby. But I don't look pregnant either. I do have mini panics sometimes about wanting to confess but get passed it. Seriously, most people really aren't as perceptive as you think. Tell when you feel comfortable and safe. In your shoes id wait as long as possible. And revel in the lovely secret you and partner have for a few more weeks x

ARV1981 Sun 07-Jun-15 22:52:39

I'm 26 weeks with my first... to me, I started showing at around 14 weeks, but only last week a colleague looked at my bump and said 'oooh, I didn't know you were pregnant!' (I announced at 13 weeks after the dating scan to my team expecting the grapevine to do the rest).

I guess what I'm saying is most people in work aren't really interested enough to notice!

Congratulations btw! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now