Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Newcastle RVI

(19 Posts)
MummyBexta Sun 07-Jun-15 09:16:59

Hello - anyone given birth / planning to give birth in Newcastle RVI? I'm hoping to go to the birthing centre, or if not upstairs. Also booked to do some anti natal classes there over summer. Would love to here about people's experiences and / or plans smile

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 07-Jun-15 09:25:21

I had both my dc there but that was 4 & 7 yrs ago. First, wonderful water birth and second quite traumatic emergency csection (literally rushed down corridor, knocked out and dd delivered very quickly!). I honestly think those amazing drs and nurses saved my dds life. They picked up straight away there was an issue and didn't mess about. I would go nowhere else! They are incredible! smilestar

MummyBexta Sun 07-Jun-15 10:02:57

Icantstopeatinglol That's great to hear. Two very different experiences! Thank you. How long did you stay in hospital each time?

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 07-Jun-15 10:06:57

Yes very different! Can't fault them at all. I was only in about 12hrs with ds but with dd I had to stay in about 3 days just to make sure everything was ok. Think it's upto you really as long as all is ok. You can stay in if you want help with bf etc but can also leave pretty much straight away if all is ok.

muddymary Sun 07-Jun-15 10:28:31

I'm 40+4 and hoping to go there any day now. I've had some classes there over the last few months and found the active birth and water birth ones to be v good (the active birth one wasn't NHS so did have to pay for it).
I am hoping for the birth centre but my friend got transferred to the upstairs bit after quite an emergency situation and she can't speak highly enough about the staff and the speed at which they managed to deliver her baby safely.

MummyBexta Sun 07-Jun-15 10:38:15

Thanks muddymary that's good to hear too. I'm booked on the water birth class - will look into the active birth one.
At the water birth was it all couples or some women on their own? My hubby has to work that day ��
Hope baby doesn't keep you waiting too much longer flowers

muddymary Sun 07-Jun-15 10:46:16

I took dh but there was a mixture of people with and without partners. All the classes I've been to have been the same. I think possibly because the times aren't always convenient if you're at work.

MummyBexta Sun 07-Jun-15 12:02:45

Great, thanks for your help muddymary smile

Mrsbigley Sun 07-Jun-15 13:32:48

Gave birth to dd in the RVI- all good. Didn't get in the birthing centre due to baby being in distress and needing a monitor- but all fine in the end. Hoping to get in the birthing centre with this one.

tattyteddy Sun 07-Jun-15 16:48:07

I had my DD now 4 at the RVI and ended up having a EMCS. I felt they didn't take any chances. I'm 19+6 today with no.2 so all going well I plan on RVI again. I struggled with breastfeeding last time so was thinking of attending their breastfeeding workshops.

katienana Sun 07-Jun-15 17:03:51

I had DS in the birthing centre in 2012. The facilities are wonderful and the staff are excellent, every birth is different of course but knowing the RVI is very safe should give you some reassurance. I stayed in 2 nights, first night in the birthing centre second night transferred to post natal ward. It was lovely that dh could be there on the first night in a private room. Second night was harder as I was very woozy and couldn't lift ds or change him so needed staff to help me. Other baby on ward kept me awake also so I went 3 nights with almost no sleep which didn't help!
It's handy that RVI is close to town as ds was too big for the clothes I'd packed so my dad had to go to Next and buy some baby grows so we could actually dress him! You can also send visitors to m&s to bring you treats.
If I have another I would be happy to birth there again, probably won't be able to use birthing centre though after pph last time.

MummyBexta Sun 07-Jun-15 18:38:22

Great to hear such positive experiences of RVI. Thanks everyone

FrameyMcFrame Sun 07-Jun-15 18:42:24

Given birth in RVI twice, it was absolutely fine.

noddingninja Sun 07-Jun-15 18:54:19

DD born in 2012 at the birthing centre and overall it was a positive experience. She was back to back but they let me labour and have her in the water. Had I been upstairs I think I would have ended up with forceps. I stayed two nights with DH, great to have him there and keep our own room. The breastfeeding help was very variable but that just reflects the skills of the different midwives.

I would go back, if I were having another and still lived in Newcastle.

CindeFuckinRella Sun 07-Jun-15 19:02:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

muddymary Fri 12-Jun-15 15:23:25

Hi mummybexta just thought I'd give you a little update. Ds was born earlier in the week - there was a couple of complications so I ended up upstairs with a stay on the ward after. I can't comment on the midwife unit only upstairs but I literally can't speak highly enough about the staff. Everyone was absolutely amazing and the midwives on the delivery suite couldn't do enough. I thought I'd be disappointed not to be able to go to the midwife unit but I'd happily go back to the delivery suite again.

MummyBexta Fri 12-Jun-15 19:38:05

Thanks so much for letting me know muddymary and big congratulations flowers

Hubnut Fri 12-Jun-15 23:57:34

In October I started in the birthing centre - pool was great - ended up upstairs cos needed forceps. I was so well looked after.

We went to a good class about labour which included a tour of the unit/ward. I went to a breastfeeding session which was pretty awful - loads of pregnant women crammed into boiling room sitting on hard seats watching a video. Couple of women left cos they felt faint.

Congratulations, you'll be in safe hands.

MummyBexta Sat 13-Jun-15 10:44:10

Thanks for your advice hubnut I haven't booked on the RVI breast feeding - thought I'd ask my midwife about a local one. So sounds like I've made the best decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now