Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

UTI? Confused

(4 Posts)
Littlelady33 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:54:30

Received letter from GP over a week after 32wk check up to say some mixed growth organisms in urine - but no action recommended just 'get in touch if any further symptoms'. Confused by that as don't have any symptoms - anyone have a clue what that means? Bit panicked.

Skiptonlass Sun 07-Jun-15 09:15:02

Mixed growth usually indicates the sample is contaminated somehow. When you take a urine sample it's very hard to get a true 'clean catch' so there will be skin bacteria, some vaginal bacteria etc. when the sample is cultured all these grow so it's hard to see if there's one particular species causing an infection.

If you don't have any symptoms, I'd not worry. If you do get burning/itching, urge to urinate frequently but not much comes out, or a fever, then definitely go back, but otherwise you're probably fine.

For your next sample, if you want to, you could take it after you've showered in the morning and Google 'clean catch urine sample' for how to minimise contamination. smile

Littlelady33 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:36:19

Thanks so much skipton that makes sense! I might ask a midwife to take another sample just to put my mind at ease but I suppose I should take from the letter that they hadn't found anything concerning? I'm not sure that sending such ambiguously worded letters to worried pregnant women at the weekend is particularly smart though....!

Skiptonlass Sun 07-Jun-15 15:06:18

If they had found an overgrowth of a single organism that indicated an infection you'd have been summoned back in smile as you've got no symptoms, they wouldn't be too concerned.

I agree with the annoyance of ambiguously worded letters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now