Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long in hosp after ELCS?

(21 Posts)
Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 15:14:52

Just interested in hearing how long people had to stay in hospital after their ELCS, providing there were no complications of course!

I had Ds by emcs on a wed eve and was home by fri morn which was great. ELCS in a couple of weeks and in an ideal world Id like to have baby in the morning and be home the next day grin. Of course this isn't always feasible as it depends on who else in down for an ELCS. I know the hospital had 2 theatres one of which is for ELCS and the other emcs.

Number3cometome Fri 05-Jun-15 15:35:41

Perfectly feasible, NICE criteria say a 24 hour release in a straightforward ELCS is fine.

I will be asking for the same when I have mine in 5 weeks time smile

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 05-Jun-15 15:41:13

I had ELCS 2 yrs ago, DS born Wed morning & I was home Fri lunchtime

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 15:43:54

Thanks both, it's a difficult one as obviously I don't want to rush home if I'm better off in hospital but at the same time I'm already dreading how hot and uncomfortable the ward will be!

seaoflove Fri 05-Jun-15 15:44:02

I had my baby at 2pm on the Thursday and left at 4pm Friday.

I was determined to leave though, and once the catheter was out I started gingerly moving around the bed, before going off for a shower. Generally, they're happy to discharge you as long as you're feeling well, the wound looks OK and your bladder is working.

MsRyanGosling Fri 05-Jun-15 15:44:19

I have an ELCS booked in 2 weeks and thry have told me I will be on the 'enhanced recovery' pathway - encouraged to drink flat lucozade and home in 24 hours if all straightforward.

Tis the new way now apparently!

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 15:49:42

Enhanced recovery rings a bell, I may ask my midwife about it!

Racheyg Fri 05-Jun-15 15:51:24

I had a Elcs last Thursday, ds2 born at 11.09 was discharged at 13.00 on Friday.

I was also v. Keen on leaving so as soon as catheter was out I had a shower all by 9 am. I couldn't believe the other women on the ward were keen on staying ?!?

Wishing you well for the rest of ur pregnancy x

GirlsonFilm Fri 05-Jun-15 15:54:36

EMCS birth Thursday night, home Saturday.
ELCS birth Thursday lunch, home Tuesday as baby needed antibiotics.

seaoflove Fri 05-Jun-15 15:55:22

I couldn't believe people wanted to stay either. I didn't sleep a wink with all the babies crying (not mine!) and I think another totally sleepless night would have sent me doolally.

KatoPotato Fri 05-Jun-15 15:59:51

1st elcs I was in for five long days as ds was jaundiced and my milk wasn't in.

Secind elcs I had the op at 0930 on the Friday, home by 1600 the next day. I was very keen to be on my feet, and kept asking when j could get my shower, catheter out etc. ds2 fed well too. Good luck

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 16:01:04

Thibk it also depends on what support system you have at home. I'm lucky as ds is at nursery 4 days a week and DH has got 2 weeks paternity then he works from home anyway

Number3cometome Fri 05-Jun-15 16:01:06

I'm having a GA for my CS, but still hoping to be home the next day.

I think when you are in hospital you feel like you should be 'ill' if you know what I mean, rather than at home and just getting on with it.

Also have two other DC's (who are not babies, but still want Mum around --most of the time--)

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 16:02:03

I did really well recovering after my emcs, was able to get on my feet and be moving v quickly so am hoping for the same this time

Number3cometome Fri 05-Jun-15 16:05:30

Well with my EMCS I was in ITU for a week but that's another story entirely and nothing to do with the CS!

With my last CS (ELCS) I was up and having a shower the same day, didn't have a catheter so went to the loo myself. I went home after two nights but that was because I had pre-eclampsia when I went in so they wanted to monitor.

silverstreak Fri 05-Jun-15 16:12:44

Don't want to put a dampener on things but just offer a word of caution re blinkered optimism - I had an elcs booked after an emcs with dc1 & was hugely hopeful of a quick turnaround after hearing all the above info as well, plus the fact that is been out in less than 48hrs first time. Turned out that although the section was text book and DS came out firing on all cylinders (so to speak!), in recovery he was deemed to have very slight rapid breathing and so was put on precautionary anti-b's for 36hrs while they ran tests.... We were in for 6 days in the end as they ran test after test, seeming to pick up on the tiniest little things that by their own admission was "quite common", but just being overly cautious (or so it seemed to me, desperate to get baby home!) as once admitted to neonatal baby has to be 150% before they'll release them... DS was absolutely fine as it turned out, they just put it down to a temporary side effect of being whipped rudely into the world by the sunroof instead of the usual route, and of course I'm happy that he had such thorough care in case something had happened, but just keep it in mind Op - everything crossed for you, but sometimes these things happen....

Number3cometome Fri 05-Jun-15 16:27:26

Silver absolutely, always best to be optimistic but realistic!

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 16:30:33

Yep that's why I'm not getting my hopes up too much. After all whatever is best for me and baby must be done, regardless of how long it would mean staying in!

Rebecca1608 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:02:53

I was in for 4 days after an EL/EM cs. It was elective as it was planned and the best option and a nice experience in theatre but emergency as they brought it forward and my girls were born at 35 weeks.

I stayed in for 4 days as I had the op 10am last Friday. They didn't come around til the late afternoon/evening to wash me as it took hours for my spinal to wear off. I walked from my bed to the wheel chair and was sick everywhere. By 5am saturday morning the catheter was out and i was up and around by 7am. However i completely burnt myself out by walking a fair distance to SCBU to see the girls so stayed an extra couple of days for rest more than anything.
I was hoping to be out in 2 days but this was not possible for me. Good luck with your section and recovery flowers grin

TinyMonkey Fri 05-Jun-15 20:12:39

ELCS at 5pm on Tuesday, out 48hrs later. Would've been earlier, but it took them hours and hours to sort out the paperwork.

blackteaplease Fri 05-Jun-15 21:24:21

I have had emcs and elcs and been in for 2 nights for both. With my elcs they said I could go home after 1 night but the ward was so busy nobody did the new baby check.

Both times I said I wanted to go home in the am and didn't get discharged until late afternoon/evening. You will need to be proactive with chasing meds and paperwork if you want a next day discharge in my experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now