Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Ds has chickenpox

(5 Posts)
hotcrossbun83 Fri 05-Jun-15 07:44:53

My 18 month ds has woken up with a few spots and chickenpox is going round his nursery so I'm pretty sure he has it. I'm 7 weeks pregnant. I had chickenpox when I was a child but I'm still a bit worried.

I can't realistically leave him with others for a week so do I just get on with it and hope for the best?

ARV1981 Fri 05-Jun-15 07:55:08

I'm pretty sure that so long as you've had it, you'll be ok.

In a way, it's good that your ds has it. I know that sounds brutal, but it's easier for little ones than adults (as I understand it!) So best to get it over with. He won't remember having it. I had it when I was about his age, and the only reminder for me ever having had it is my twin sister has one chickenpox scar! And my mum told me, but I have no recollection of it at all.

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 08:08:38

If you are sure you have had it then you will more than likely be fine. Howeber if you are worried then your gp can run a blood test which checks for immunity. This is what I did when my son and husband had cp at the start of this year

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 08:09:39

And I agree with the pp, much better to get it whilst young. My husband was really poorly when he had it, much worse than my son

NeuroticFox1 Fri 05-Jun-15 14:45:21

I would go and get you immunity checked anyway. It's unlikely you wouldn't be immune but I think it is possible, and if it did turn out you aren't they can give you some medicine that reduces the symptoms. I think you can only have that before the spots appear though so worth checking with GP. Just a thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now