Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ds has chickenpox

(5 Posts)
hotcrossbun83 Fri 05-Jun-15 07:44:53

Hi

My 18 month ds has woken up with a few spots and chickenpox is going round his nursery so I'm pretty sure he has it. I'm 7 weeks pregnant. I had chickenpox when I was a child but I'm still a bit worried.

I can't realistically leave him with others for a week so do I just get on with it and hope for the best?

ARV1981 Fri 05-Jun-15 07:55:08

I'm pretty sure that so long as you've had it, you'll be ok.

In a way, it's good that your ds has it. I know that sounds brutal, but it's easier for little ones than adults (as I understand it!) So best to get it over with. He won't remember having it. I had it when I was about his age, and the only reminder for me ever having had it is my twin sister has one chickenpox scar! And my mum told me, but I have no recollection of it at all.

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 08:08:38

If you are sure you have had it then you will more than likely be fine. Howeber if you are worried then your gp can run a blood test which checks for immunity. This is what I did when my son and husband had cp at the start of this year

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 05-Jun-15 08:09:39

And I agree with the pp, much better to get it whilst young. My husband was really poorly when he had it, much worse than my son

NeuroticFox1 Fri 05-Jun-15 14:45:21

I would go and get you immunity checked anyway. It's unlikely you wouldn't be immune but I think it is possible, and if it did turn out you aren't they can give you some medicine that reduces the symptoms. I think you can only have that before the spots appear though so worth checking with GP. Just a thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now