Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Festival not allowing chairs!! As a pregnant woman do they have to let me?

(69 Posts)
Jenwal2 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:01:22

So, I bought tickets to one day of a festival before getting pregnant. I'm 16 weeks and still planning to go and wasn't expecting any problem, but now they have said you can't take chairs in. I have the beginning of SPD (caused by an earlier pregnancy) and am struggling with standing for any length of time and sitting on the floor is painful/uncomfortable. I was just planning to take a chair. They have only just released rules in the last few days, which say no chairs and there is absolutely no way to contact them. Do I have any rights? Do I just argue it when I get there? What happens if they say leave your chair or don't come in?

Jenwal2 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:04:35

I should add that they have already stated in their faqs that people who have injured themselves (or got pregnant) since buying tickets can't use disabled facilities. I have no intention of asking for/using disabled facilities, but I think it shows their likely position on my question.

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 04-Jun-15 23:08:40

You don't have rights at an entertainment event. Best hope might be a full refund.

stilllearnin Thu 04-Jun-15 23:11:50

Do you want to say which festival? I go to lots and you can usually work these things out. Sometimes is best to ask on a facebook page or similar - others its best to spring it on them wink - really can't see it being a big problem unless its a really strict festival.

Jenwal2 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:29:13

It is Wildlife festival (new this year) the right near me so I really want to go. They just seem to be taking a really unhelpful stance on everything

Jenwal2 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:30:55

I messaged them on Facebook and asked them about taking a folding stool (and told them why). They ignored my question and just updated the faqs to include the word 'stool' in the list of things you can't take

Gillian1980 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:44:02

They don't sound very pleasant at all sad

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 04-Jun-15 23:49:37

Just read the FAQs and it says "you can sit in the grass and relax"
Hopefully it won't be raining or have recently rained!
As Gillian says, they sound unpleasant. Can you get down to sit on the ground or does the spd stop all that?

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 04-Jun-15 23:50:27

Sorry just seen you can't sit in the ground

Jenwal2 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:55:54

I can manage short periods on the ground, but after a few of those that would be it. Do you reckon I'm supposed to just go to the first aid tent to sit - that would be so ridiculous. I can't imagine I'm the only person who will have proper problems with sitting on the ground.

eurochick Thu 04-Jun-15 23:57:13

Blow up chair?

VanitasVanitatum Thu 04-Jun-15 23:58:28

Take one of those shooting sticks that have the handle fold out into a seat! Unless sticks are on the banned list...?!

Jenwal2 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:58:59

The point is I just wanted to go and enjoy and not have any fuss caused by me being pregnant. Then I could just sit down whenever without having to interrupt what we are doing.

Jenwal2 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:01:24

Sticks also in the list. My husband suggested blow up chair too. The list says any type of chair though. So if they are being difficult, that would be covered. At least I would have a better chance of sneaking that in though!

TheCowThatLaughs Fri 05-Jun-15 00:02:03

They're probably worried that people will bring chairs, use them, then leave them behind and the organisers will have to get rid of thousands of folding chairs, but that doesn't help you does it?

namechange0dq8 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:02:35

You don't have rights at an entertainment event.

Surely the provision of entertainment is a service within the meaning of S.29 of the Equality Act? Are you saying that a cinema or theatre could put up a sign saying "No blacks, no wheelchairs, no queers" and get away with it?

Jenwal2 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:03:01

That was what I thought.

defineme Fri 05-Jun-15 00:03:11

I have a Hi gear anywhere chair that looks like a smallish shoulder bag and then opens up to be a ground level mat with a back support. Costs £10.

Jenwal2 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:03:54

Sorry, my reply was to thecowthatlaughs

namechange0dq8 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:06:31

No, the reason for the "no chairs" rule is because they're a complete pain at festivals. The people sitting down take up extra room, and then complain when people in front of them stand up. To take an example of festival which does allow seats, the Cambridge Folk Festival occasionally has near riots (well, not quite, given the median age is about 60) when people with seats insist on occupying territory close to the main stage and then get stroppy about people who incurse. There's how a complex dance of regulation and custom and practice which boils down to "chairs in the main stage tent are OK until tea time, not after then" but I'm sure it'll be a feature of this year, as most years.

Jenwal2 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:07:21

I wondered about one of those mat chair things, but not sure if i could sit like that. Also, their faqs came out this week and I am going on Sat, so not much time to source one!

I also figured there must be a discrimination issue with not making allowances for people with genuine issues.

Jenwal2 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:10:00

I do totally understand that point namechange0dq8. I am quite happy to sit way at the back out of the way, as long as I could sit and still enjoy

Jenwal2 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:13:19

Must go to sleep now! Thank you all for your suggestions. Still not really sure what I'm going to do though...

SignoraStronza Fri 05-Jun-15 00:29:40

Just take one along and, pretend you had absolutely no idea of the 'rules'. Laugh incredulously if they do say anything, but crucially, just be breezy. Never, ever ask in this type of situation.

HelenF350 Fri 05-Jun-15 01:48:08

The organisers sound crazy! What festival is this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now