Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD pelvic pain questions???

(13 Posts)
Jennifersox Thu 04-Jun-15 18:43:18

Have had pelvic pain on and off since about 17 weeks but put it down to having a very active job (nurse in busy receiving ward) have been off work on Mat leave for 3 weeks now and have since developed excruciating SPD resulting in a short admission to hospital last week. Have got support belt, cocodamols etc (try not to take) but am 37 weeks now.
Just wondering if this is related to 'overdoing it' at work before finishing and am now not so active. Used pedometer app on phone at work and used to walk 18000 steps.
Don't know whether I should be trying to stay active and walk through the pain to help baby engage etc or whether I should just be resting and taking painkillers (it does help...) I know spd doesn't harm baby so feel like I should just struggle through until he's here

It's rubbish sad

Mamabear14 Thu 04-Jun-15 19:25:05

I have just spoke to my doctor and midwife about this today, I am at the point where I can barely walk now. I have got to pick a belt up tomorrow and he has prescribed me codeine but I really don't want to take them as I know they make baby drowsy. I have long forgotten what sleep is like, I know they won't do much more but I don't know how I'm going to get through the next 8 weeks. I would rest up if I was you, labour is going to be difficult enough!

pinkie87 Thu 04-Jun-15 19:41:27

I think with SPD you just need to rest. Walking won't ease it in any way. And best mot to stress yourself by getting into more pain just to try and engage baby. maybe try using a birthing ball instead, or going on all fours if you can.

ovumahead Thu 04-Jun-15 19:47:42

Get a physio to an antenatal physio asap. If you were admitted due to the pain I'm surprised they didn't refer you. I've seen a chiropractor privately for spd and he's been amazing.

Walking absolutely will not help with spd. You need to rest. There's lots of good info about how to manage spd on line. Google and you'll find useful stuff.

ovumahead Thu 04-Jun-15 19:48:04

Referral to physio I mean! Duh

cookiefiend Thu 04-Jun-15 19:49:14

I was at a physio session recently and they said in pregnancy never push through pain. It will only make pain worse. Also try to focus on posture and keeping your body as symentrical as possibke when sitting and standing etc.

Picklesauage Thu 04-Jun-15 19:58:22

Rest, dont push through. I have managed to stay mostly mobile by resting periodically. I have had it since around 26 weeks and initially tried to just power through with the use of a support belt (believing it had some sort of magic powers I think!) it got to the point where I realised one day I couldn't make it back down the stairs. Not a good position to be in with a 3 year old. I had to ask DH to come home to help.

Since then I have limited myself to how much walking, standing and lifting I have been doing. I am being induced 10 days and am still able to care for my DD, although are trips out are much shorter and I drive to places I used to walk to.

Bottom line, please rest. Absolutely no hoovering, no trolley pushing and only do the bare essentials of housework. And don't be to shy to ask for help. I hate it, but it is the only way I have made it this far.m

Jennifersox Thu 04-Jun-15 20:15:04

It's so boring sitting around on birthing ball sad I don't have a car so am stuck in the house. Was so active before right up until a couple of weeks ago now I'm going crazy. Even a day off my feet helps so much tho, I know I need to stop pushing through pain sad
Have been referred to physios but not confident I'll get an app before baby arrives!

comeagainforbigfudge Thu 04-Jun-15 20:16:40

Oh Ive had pelvic pain since about 16/17 weeks. Also a nurse. Was in agony despite support belts etc.

I used annual leave to finish early and basically have been doing the least I can get away with. Walking/being out a shops for any longer than 30mins and I start to get sore.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from pushing through. Like you say, baby will be fine. It's you that will suffer. Rest up and let others look after you for a while. Oh and have baths!

Exercises - pelvic floors/tilts.
Try to open legs to wide. So swivel to get in/out car.
I went to physio to get advice on labouring positions as the standard ones would do nothing to help my pelvic pain.
Was advised to lean over back of bed, or exercise ball. To avoid stirrups flat on back if possible but can use them lying on side, so supporting one leg.

Hope that helps. It's torture this spd lark!

coneywonder Thu 04-Jun-15 20:19:21

It's a fine line I rested for 3 weeks after not being able to walk. I then tried to go for slow 30 min walks each day and it helped but that's all I did. I don't think midwives and the nhs really know what to do with spd. A chiropractor is the only person that's helped me, I'm 35 weeks now and it's the best it's been x

reallywittyname Thu 04-Jun-15 20:25:45

Rest rest rest! The only cure for spd is baby coming out. Sleep on your side, keep your pelvis aligned by putting a pillow between your legs.

Physios aren't as good as osteopaths ime. If you can afford it, go see an osteopath who knows about spd, the sooner the better, otherwise you can risk permanent damage. I had two sessions and the difference was unbelievable.

ChannelingFlop Thu 04-Jun-15 20:31:27

Rest rest rest! I saw physio and osteopath And chiropractor in my second pregnancy. 1st pregnancy I was sure exercise Was the answer- it wasn't
. Physio actually v good and got me to tighten my pelvic floor muscles before I moved in a way that was going to hurt and also taped my lower back and this did actually help a bit. Osteopath and chiropractic not so good for me

comeagainforbigfudge Thu 04-Jun-15 20:51:45

oh lordy just noticed. Should read try NOT to open legs wide silly me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now