Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Freaked out at 38 weeks

(5 Posts)
Purpleboa Wed 03-Jun-15 11:07:23

Hope someone can help/reassure/have a stern word with me!

At this week's midwife check up, my blood pressure was high and there was protein in my urine. Had to go back today, same story. So I have been referred to the hospital day care unit tomorrow to have my BP monitored. If it's consistently high, then induction is being discussed as the next step.

I know that at this stage (38 weeks plus 1) birth is an imminent reality! But nevertheless, I'm freaking out and have spent the last half hour in tears. Firstly, obviously biggest worry is baby's health. I don't want anything to compromise that and am stressing that this will affect her.

Secondly, I had wanted a natural birth with baby arriving in her own time. Induction sounds horrible and I really don't want it to happen. I know I just have to go with it all, but it's something I'd really rather avoid.

Thirdly, the enormity of it all is getting to me. I thought I was mentally prepared for labour, but obviously not if I'm reacting like this! I have a fear of hospitals and medical procedures anyway, so the thought of going in to be induced is so scary! I've tried deep breathing, visualisation etc but I am a stressy person and it comes naturally to me!

Finally, it's the uncertainty of it all. Because I've only just finished work, I'd really hoped for a week or so of taking it easy. Now everything is on hold. Plus it's my DH's birthday on Tuesday 9th, and I'd so hoped he'd get to have it without any labour dramas. A small thing I know!

Anyone care to slap me round the face and tell me to get a grip??

coneywonder Wed 03-Jun-15 11:12:02

I am 35 weeks and although I'm not in the same situation BP wise I am also starting to freak out despite hypnobirthing techniques that normally calm me so I wanted to let you know your not alone.

However, I also wanted to let you know that I had heard so many positive things about induction, if you get the pessary which is the method they start with I think then they leave you to go for a walk or go home while it kicks in. Yes you will be monitored but you should be able to still have a natural labour and stay as calm and relaxed as you want. My friend said her inductions were fab, she's had 2.

Try and relax and think that it will all be over soon and baby will be on her way and with you. I'm kinda jealous you have an end date. Everything will be fine and your oh will get the best birthday present ever xxx good luck keep us posted

Scotinoz Wed 03-Jun-15 11:28:55

Induction isn't as bad as some report. I've had two relaxed and natural, with minimal gas&air, induced labours. Honestly, just go with the flow.

Baby #2 was induced at 39wks and she doesn't look remotely bothered by it (belly full of milk and out for the count in my arms)

Electroswing Wed 03-Jun-15 12:23:22

My sympathy, I can totally understand that's not what you want.

To reassure you though, I also hated medical procedures, had a proper phobia of needles and was scared of pain. Then I had my baby, and ended up having a spinal anaesthetic, episiotomy and forceps delivery, and - it was fine. It's hard to describe, but you're stronger than you think. Also the pain is not as awful as your imagination will build it up to be! It becomes a bit of a monster when you're anxious, but when it's actually happening it's fine. I did 10 hours of back-to-back labour on G&A and diamorphine - and I have been known to cry before having innoculations blush

I would also say, don't beat yourself up about 'natural' birth. 'Natural' is not always possible. That's why it's great we have the medical care to make sure we have safe, healthy births when conditions aren't optimal. Sometimes you don't get a choice, and it's not because you've failed or done anything wrong, it's just because that's the way the chips have fallen. Whatever happens, it will be the best thing for you and the baby.

I don't know if you're dead set against having an epidural, but it is more common for them to be used with induction, and you can ask to have one as soon as possible. If you are freaking out about the pain it could be a good thought to hang on to.

BathshebaDarkstone Wed 03-Jun-15 12:29:35

I was booked in for an induction (13 days overdue) but the sweep they did first got things moving and I didn't need it. Maybe you'll be lucky too? flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now