Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sickness triggering Mat leave

(7 Posts)
Nottalotta Wed 03-Jun-15 05:07:12

Does anyone know 'the rules' about this? I am almost sure that if I am signed off sick with pregnamcy related prpblems within 4wks od due date, then it triggers maternity leave.

What about non pregnancy related? I have just been signed off with stress, variety of reasons all coming together meaning I am not coping well. Possibly worse because I am pregnant.

I work for the local authority and am 31 + 4.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 03-Jun-15 05:51:05

Tricky one....in my opinion, if it's not pregnancy related then it shouldn't trigger mat leave. It all comes down to what the doctor has written, if its just stress then I think you could argue it.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 03-Jun-15 05:54:16

If you're 31+4 then unless you've been signed off for several weeks you should be fine. Might be worth posting this in one of the employment boards as I think you're really looking for advice from someone in HR rather than those who are currently pregnant

dementedpixie Wed 03-Jun-15 06:15:11

Being off with pregnancy related illness in the last 4 weeks before your due date can trigger your maternity leave. If it is not pregnancy related then it should not start

Topsy34 Wed 03-Jun-15 06:16:07

Inthink if its non pregnancy related then its not maternity leave. I would speak to HR, and just check officially

Nottalotta Wed 03-Jun-15 06:19:56

Thanks for your replies. The form just says 'stress'. I just know when I speak to my manager today, and tell him I'm signed off for two weeks, he will start saying things like 'oh i'll have to check the policy, you might have to start mat leave....' in a mock concerned way.

dementedpixie Wed 03-Jun-15 06:44:56

www.maternityaction.org.uk/wp/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/sickness-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/ - does this help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now