Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

left side sleeping

(31 Posts)
haroldsfakebluetits Tue 02-Jun-15 21:10:57

.. I am really struggling to keep on my left side at night. Anyone else?

gingerbreadmam Tue 02-Jun-15 21:13:23

in the beginning i kept waking up on my back, i didnt even know i ever slept on my back. mw said to put a pillow behind you when go to bed so maybe start on left and put pillow behind you to stop you turning over?

ive just got a maternity pillow from argos for under £10 (for another reason) but its pretty much body length and would probs do the trick.

ARV1981 Tue 02-Jun-15 21:15:58

Yup to maternity pillow, I got one and it helps me from turning onto my back. I have always slept on my back so it's really difficult for me though.

Purpleball Tue 02-Jun-15 21:19:27

I've got a Dream Genii pillow and I love it! I do turn over in the night but it keeps me off my back. You're also ok to sleep on your right but left is better if you can

MrsExcited Tue 02-Jun-15 21:21:24

I'm a right side sleeper and just can't nod off on my left (facing dh) he snores and breathes on me so am sticking with right atm.

gingerbreadmam Tue 02-Jun-15 21:22:36

i want a dream genni so bad but couldnt justify the price isaywhilstwhingeingeverytimeiwakeupoverhowsoremylegshavebeenallnight

sianihedgehog Tue 02-Jun-15 21:24:59

I am just happy if I sleep, tbh. Midwife said that this is really not worth worrying about.

Foreverconfused Tue 02-Jun-15 21:27:24

I was wary at the beginning of my pregnancy about how I slept ,but by the time I got to 20 weeks onwards I'd given up. I slept on my back mostly or in a weird kind of recovery position (on my front but slightly to the side so not laying directly on belly ).

BlueBee Tue 02-Jun-15 21:35:08

I sleep in that recovery position too forever always have done, even now at 7 months.

Cheshirehello79 Tue 02-Jun-15 21:49:18

My mw told me to sleep on my right hand side better for circulation Shocked:

Purpleball Tue 02-Jun-15 21:51:23

I know it's expensive. Mine was a birthday present. I forgot to take it away and it was the worst night sleep,I'd had in months
You can use it as a feeding pillow afterwards

MissTwister Tue 02-Jun-15 22:03:29

You can sleep right or left. As my consultant said a good nights sleep is far healthier for us and baby in long run

Mynameisnotthis Tue 02-Jun-15 22:13:20

ginger I got my dream genni at tk maxx for £25 if that's any better for ur budget? I was well chuffed!

Bluepetra Tue 02-Jun-15 22:19:11

Midwives have told me not to worry, and if I feel ok on my back then there's no problem in sleeping on your back. I feel fine and sleep in my back, left and right. Didn't know about any of this in my first pregnancy and my baby was fine ! Don't think it's worth worrying about.

Cheshirehello79 Tue 02-Jun-15 22:26:56

I've got by Carla pregnancy pillow and been told it's as good as dream genii and came with a spare cover - it's lovely got it from to maxx too for £20 bargain

pinkandsparklytoo Tue 02-Jun-15 22:29:10

I always sleep on my left so it's not a problem for me. When I lie on my back I go funny after a while

Chchchchanging Wed 03-Jun-15 00:14:09

Also got mine in Tkmaxx

Nottalotta Wed 03-Jun-15 04:56:32

I struggled with sleeping on my left to begin ditto husband breathing in my face god dammit but am getting better at it at 31 wks. I also sleep in a kind of recovery position.

Have found a normal pillow between knees and lower legs/ankles, works very well.

gingerbreadmam Wed 03-Jun-15 06:45:07

ive tried tk maxx a few times but not got lucky yet. will keep looking tho ive had the leg thing since about 10 wks and am only 20 so would still get some use out of one yet and am hoping to bf too. thanks.

HazleNutt Wed 03-Jun-15 06:50:41

Don't sleep on your left side yet. I've posted it before, that I can only find one study that this advice is based on, and that just looked at the night before birth, and didn't find that sleeping on left throughout pregnancy made any difference. www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d3403

MissTwister Wed 03-Jun-15 07:13:53

If you can get to South London I am selling my Dream Genii for £20 with a cover. I just haven't got on with it!

MissMartin1992 Wed 03-Jun-15 07:22:57

hello..when should you stop sleeping on your back? im 6w5d? and always wake up on my backhmm

Teeste Wed 03-Jun-15 08:01:29

You only need to stop sleeping on your back if it makes you uncomfortable or dizzy. Prop yourself up on a few pillows so you're not lying flat if it makes you feel better.

Skiptonlass Wed 03-Jun-15 08:02:14

I have a dream genii too and it's great, well worth the price tag!

I got mine reduced at mothercare. You could easily whip up your own as well with some fabric and a bit of padding if you sew, it's not huge like some of the other ones I saw.

Skiptonlass Wed 03-Jun-15 08:03:20

I usually sleep on my left in the recovery position anyway so for me it's been more about hip and back support than positioning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now