Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Acid reflux & sickness at 35 weeks

(7 Posts)
Stinkylinky Tue 02-Jun-15 11:06:21

I've had acid reflux all the way through my pregnancy and I have managed but now I'm throwing up everything I eat due to severe reflux.

I'm worrying that the baby isn't getting all the goodness that he needs because I'm not keeping anything down.

I bought it up at my last midwife appointment but she just suggested Gaviscon and drinking milk which I have been doing but nothing it helping.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and can offer any advice?

beno57 Tue 02-Jun-15 11:09:24

Go and see your GP who will be able to give you medication. Gaviscon is good but no use if you are throwing up. Milk may help it might make it worse. I suffer from this when I'm not pregnant and diet can help too but with you being this late in pregnancy I'd just get some medication.

sianihedgehog Tue 02-Jun-15 11:23:55

Go to the GP - gaviscon does absolutely fuck all for me, but I now have Omeprazole on prescription and it is an absolute godsend. I can even lie down. If you can't get to the GP right away try ranitidine, which is available on the shelf in the chemists

MuddyWellyNelly Tue 02-Jun-15 11:40:40

You can actually buy omeprazole over the counter now. I don't know whether they will sell it to a pregnant lady though. Probably worth trying there first though for speed?

Butterchunks Tue 02-Jun-15 13:42:52

There is a fancy version of omeprazole that you can buy off the shelf in the supermarkets. It is called Nexium, you take it once a day and (much like omeprazole) it prevents heartburn rather than treating the symptoms.

FluffyJawsOfDoom Tue 02-Jun-15 14:14:10

I was prescribed 75mg ranitidine twice a day by my gp - you can also buy it over the counter. It's far far more effective than just gaviscon.

Fwiw don't worry about your baby, it'll take what it needs from your stores - it'll just be you that feels like shite ;-)

bippityboppitypoo Tue 02-Jun-15 19:33:47

Zantac was the only thing that gave me relief towards the end of my last pregnancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now