Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Urgent question for any pharmacists/doctors?

(7 Posts)
Chintaria Mon 01-Jun-15 14:47:08

Last week I was given Pantomed 20 to take once a day (have taken it 3 times so far) but I just saw my usual gp who told me it is not safe in pregnancy confused
She wouldn't say whether or not it might have done any damage (am 4+6) and I now feel incredibly panicked and scared that I might have inadvertently caused harm.

Does anyone know this drug (it's an antacid) and whether or not it might have harmed our baby? Just hope someone can calm me down please sad

PS am in Belgium if that helps.

happygojo Mon 01-Jun-15 14:58:01

Hi, I am not a doctor or a pharmacist BUT I probably wouldn't worry. Especially with how early you are. Also a drug in the same family Omeprazole (sp?) is licensed for use in pregnancy in the UK. It is a Proton Pump Inhibitor rather than an antacid.

I am on Omeprazole twice a day for reflux, as are a lot of my pregnant friends. You could ask for this instead.

Try not to worry. I severely doubt you have done any harm and I hope someone else can give you more reassurance soon

pickleandflux Mon 01-Jun-15 16:28:27

The BNF which is the bible for UK docs and pharmacists says that pantoprazole (I think that's what Pantomed is) can be used if benefits outweigh risks (which is what it says for virtually ALL drugs in pregnancy because they don't include pregnant ladies in drug studies, so the companies cover their backs by saying that). Honestly you are very very unlikely to have caused any harm. As prev poster said, you could ask for omeprazole instead if you need it (BNF states "not known to be harmful" which is about as good as it gets for drugs in pregnancy. Please try not to worry as I'm sure it's fine x

Skiptonlass Mon 01-Jun-15 19:30:30

It's category b for pregnancy. No harm seen in high dose animal studies, no studies done on humans (which isn't unusual, you can't exactly dose up pregnant ladies with stuff just to test it...) so same category as olmeprazole. Veeeeery few things are category a, the bar is just so high to get in there.

Go and see your local pharmacist - they are generally much more au fait with the specifics. I'm not a medic or a pharmacist, but I am a scientist with developmental background. I'd take this if I had to - as pps have said, olmeprazole is a more common proton pump inhibitor, but talk to your doc - if you've got erosive oespohagitis etc there could be a very good reason they gave you this.

Bottom line, don't worry. See your pharmacist and original doctor for clarification/peace of mind purposes.

MissTwister Mon 01-Jun-15 19:30:57

Don't worry. I've just googled and found the below. Basically means no-one has seen it cause harm but its not been directly tested on pregnant women. Patient says doctors can prescribe it too. Really don't worry.

Reproduction studies have been performed in rats at oral doses up to 88 times the recommended human dose and in rabbits at oral doses up to 16 times the recommended human dose and have revealed no evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus due to Pantoprazole. There are, however, no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women

Skiptonlass Mon 01-Jun-15 19:31:30

My bad - olmeprazole is category c smile

Chintaria Mon 01-Jun-15 19:46:50

Oh thank you all of you, I am feeling much calmer now. I was in tears on the way home terrified that I'd ballsed everything up before it even got started.

Thanks again, SO much flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now