Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

baby sling

(14 Posts)
ARV1981 Mon 01-Jun-15 06:58:06

I really want to get a sling. The things I read about how it's good for baby to feel close to you, but you can be hands-free makes me really want to give ' baby wearing' a go...

I was wondering if any experienced mums could recommend a sling? There seems to be a bewildering array of types. I'm quite drawn to the wrap slings, but I don't know if I can manage tying it with a baby! Sounds difficult!

I definitely want a soft one though, that's for sure.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom?

MagpieCursedTea Mon 01-Jun-15 07:14:39

I used one of the big/long soft wraps that you do yourself. I liked it as I felt DS was secure in it and it spread it weight comfortably.

It's a bit daunting at first but once you learn to tie it, it's quite easy. Not so great in a rainy car park with it dangling in puddles when you're trying to tie it though.

dylsmimi Mon 01-Jun-15 07:27:22

Is there a sling library near you? They can show you how to tie a long stretchy wrap and you can try different types of sling till you find one you like.
I never thought I could do it but loved my moby stretchy wrap for ds2. You can leave it tied and just pop them in and out. I couldn't manage a full wrap as a I had an active toddler too so moved to a structured carrier or a Mai tai which is sort of a cross between - soft with long straps you wrap round you but don't buy a cheap one off eBay
Sling library and /or you tube tutorials will help

Hophop987 Mon 01-Jun-15 07:32:39

I used Boba wrap for the first 4-5 months and then changed to soft carrier Boba 3G,which I'm still using from time to time with my 2year old. I loved Boba and planning to use it with DC2

Artandco Mon 01-Jun-15 07:35:51

Look at baby Ktan for a soft wrap that doesn't require all the tying

Springtimemama Mon 01-Jun-15 07:43:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 01-Jun-15 07:54:52

The close caboo is a stretchy one and comes semi-tied so no worrying if your knots are good enough.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 01-Jun-15 07:56:58

Definitely go to a sling library to try them out. We spent a fortune on unsuitable slings. But I loved them, so much easier than a pushchair in lots of situations.

Some of the things we learned:
- newborn/small baby slings need to have different characteristics from slings for older babies (mainly related to whether they can support their head and then how much support you need due to their weight), so be prepared to get another one if you want to keep baby wearing as they get older
- it's hard to get a sling that suits two people, especially if one of those people is a foot taller than the other one (DH!)
- some slings are actively dangerous for young babies (eg the kind that you have over one shoulder where they are kind of cradled - they can suffocate) and some slings aren't recommended because they don't promote the right sitting position (M shape to avoid hip displaysia)
- babies have an opinion about slings too, some don't like being too contained

We ended up with a moby when DD was small, which DH didn't use but I liked (although tying it is a faff) then moved to a caboo DX which was a lot easier to get on and comfortable. DH has a bushbaby backpack for walks.

thatwhichwecallarose Mon 01-Jun-15 08:20:42

I had a moby until recently when I've swapped to the ergo baby 360.

I agree with poster above - I loved my moby but was a pita when out on wet days! I loved that I could feel here through it though - with the ergo baby there is too much thick padded material!

newbian Mon 01-Jun-15 09:20:07

Anyone use a soft sling like a Moby just for indoors/around the house and a sturdier carrier for outside/running errands? I'm thinking of getting one of each. I like the idea of having the baby close to me at home but I'll need something more solid for going out and for DH to use.

Artandco Mon 01-Jun-15 09:24:13

New - yes I used a wrap indoors so I could work at desk with baby happy, and did use it outside also when tiny, but prefer the soft structured type for outdoors carrying all day. I also used soft wrap for on plane until they had own seat as could then nap easier with them

Something like baby Ktan indoors and out for newborn, then boba 4g for years.

Topsy34 Mon 01-Jun-15 12:55:45

I love slings, i had a simply mai tai, lovely and comfy. Several connectas, babies in space and a few wraps, i liked Neobulle but there are many.

Defo check out your local sling library, they will be able to help you find one you are comfy in

ARV1981 Mon 01-Jun-15 13:33:11

Yay, there's a sling library really close to me! I've sent them an email asking if it's better to wait for baby or get one now... part of me wants to be prepared, but logic says it may be better to wait for baby because it has to work for both of us!

Thanks for all the tips! Xxx

Madratlady Mon 01-Jun-15 13:48:48

I never learned to wrap with ds but i love mei tai slings, I find them much easier to get 'just right' than buckled carriers. I had a hop-tye brand one to start with, they are reasonably priced and adjustable for different sized babies, I think I will be using one for dc2. I currently use a toddler size mei tai for my large 18 month old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now