Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lanolin allergy query

(11 Posts)
TheFillyjonk Thu 28-May-15 16:01:51

I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my first and I'm planning to breastfeed. I have bought some Lansinoh, the supposed holy grail of nipple creams. However, in the back of my mind I have a nagging voice telling me I might be allergic to lanolin...

My mum is allergic and couldn't use lanolin nipple creams. So like a wally, I thought I'd test out some Lansinoh on my lips to see what happened. They have got very, very dry.

Do you think my lips will behave like nipples? Does this mean I could be allergic to lanolin too, and is this how a lanolin allergy behaves?

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 28-May-15 16:11:36

I'm allergic to it too, I get a very bad rash with anything with lanolin in. It's in quite a lot of products so perhaps have a look at the ones in your bathroom and the ingredients. If you've used those ok then you're probably not allergic. It's in so many things I guess you'd have realised before but can you test it on a patch of skin e.g. arm?

KarmaBiatch Thu 28-May-15 16:16:45

Get yourself a tube of bepanthen (nappy cream). It is amazing stuff.. not only for baby bum, but nipples, lips, as a night cream (oh my god, it worked wonders on my face!). Also helps clear any dribble rash from a teething baby.

but shh.. don't tell anyone I told you of its amazingness wink

TheFillyjonk Thu 28-May-15 16:17:34

Good idea. I've always found lip balm and hand cream very drying and I think they usually contain lanolin. I'll try some Lansinoh on my arm and see what happens.

TheFillyjonk Thu 28-May-15 16:18:29

Yesssss, I have loads of Bepanthen. I am thrilled to hear it'll double up nicely grin

Lorelei353 Thu 28-May-15 16:18:38

Do the arm test but over a few days - one use may not show anything

Birdiegirl Thu 28-May-15 16:21:41

You could also get some coconut oil to use. I'm told it's great as a nipple cream. I'm 39 weeks pg with dc2 and I plan to try it this time around instead, just because I have a big jar of it. Good luck.

KarmaBiatch Thu 28-May-15 16:23:15

If all else fails, just let your nipples air dry with some of your own breastmilk on them. It also possess wonderful healing power smile

TheFillyjonk Thu 28-May-15 16:33:24

Some great wisdom on here, thank you! flowers

Lorelei353 Thu 28-May-15 16:56:19

If you have allergies or have them in the family I'd be cautious about coconut oil use. It's not a nut as such but lots of nut-allergic people (like me) are also allergic to it. I'd be wary of exposing a newborn to it.

KarmaBiatch Thu 28-May-15 18:19:19

sorry, had to come back and say "massive congratulation on expecting your PFB" thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now