Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby engaged and measuring large

(7 Posts)
sarah00001 Thu 28-May-15 12:57:27

Hello, I'm 35+2 days today. I had my antenatal check up and the midwife said the baby's head was fully engaged and I measured 37 weeks, so almost 2 weeks ahead. I asked if it was likely I'd have the baby early and she said she couldn't say. I just wondered if I should prepare myself anyway for the baby arriving early?

Thanks, Sarah

Number3cometome Thu 28-May-15 14:06:35

First baby?

The head being engaged means nothing, could still come at any time.

You tend to find first babies engage earlier.

sarah00001 Thu 28-May-15 14:11:03

Yes it's my first baby. What about measuring large, does that suggest baby could be early?

Number3cometome Thu 28-May-15 14:21:59

Nope, measuring is a pretty useless tool as a one off.

I have been anything between 2cm too small and 3cm too big during this pregnancy.

If midwife was concerned she would have sent you for a scan.

2cm is pretty normal grin

applecore0317 Thu 28-May-15 14:25:04

bump measurments just give you an estimate, my friend was told she was measuring large, had growth scans, they predicted a 10lb baby and he was born weighing 7lbs 6oz.

Other friends of mine have had larger babies and gone over the due date, a bigger baby may put more pressure on your cervix, but doesn't necessarily mean early labour. I've been partly engaged since 32 weeks, 1cm dilated since 36 weeks and am sat here at 40+1 willing her to come out, even though the midwife thought she'd be here at 37 weeks as my cervix was very favourable. There is just no way of knowing.

All you can do is make sure you have your hospital bag ready smile

applecore0317 Thu 28-May-15 14:26:13

and as number3 said, two weeks either way is pretty normal

slanleat Thu 28-May-15 14:26:29

I measured 38wks at 35wks on my last one. She arrived at 41+4 ... sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now