Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sex question: I know it's been asked a BILLION times...

(13 Posts)
Skeppers Thu 28-May-15 11:56:37

How 'sure' are sonographers at the 20 week scan in terms of baby's sex?

We were told at our 20 week scan that baby is a boy. The sonographer even pointed out the baby's 'junk' on the monitor, which you would think would be convincing enough. Problem is, the monitor was angled slightly away from me so I didn't really see it, just had to take her word. DH reassures me it was definitely a peen. We were both over the moon and told people we were expecting a boy. Hurrah!

However, now people have bought us a load of 'boy' stuff (I know, I know...I'm not here to enter into a debate about what boys/girls should/shouldn't wear) and I've kind of bonded with baby as a boy in my mind. We've picked out boy's names. But I still have a niggling doubt. How likely is it that she would have been wrong? She did say that she definitely wouldn't tell us unless it was obvious from the scan, but I don't know. Why can't I just take her word for it!? Why this weird doubt? Does it even matter? Why do I feel like it does?? Aaaargh! confused

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 28-May-15 12:00:40

It's quite rare to get it wrong but it can happen. One friend found out at a later growth scan, the other at birth. And no it doesn't matter, although one had to repaint the nursery!

Teeste Thu 28-May-15 12:03:26

I think when there's meat and two veg, they're pretty sure! Girls can be a little more difficult, as it could just be a boy being modest. But where there's a peen there's more than likely a boy!

We were told boy at 20 weeks, and this was confirmed by the 3D scan we had at 28 weeks. It's really very obvious. Maybe you're doubting because knowing the sex before birth is an incredibly recent thing? Throughout practically all of history, it's always been an unknown.

I guess there's only one way to know for absolute sure though smile

Halleberry Thu 28-May-15 12:28:48

In this day and age the likelihood of them Getting a detail
Like that wrong is very very slim. I was the same as you thoughgrin I was told a girl. I had numerous scans due lack
Of movement etc and every scan I had I made them double check it was a girl I was having. We went baby pink mad, as did every one else ... So it was just Aswell the sonographer was right!! Defo a girl I had. I also bonded with my baby as a girl, but I know 100% that had their been a mistake and it was a boy, Id have loved him just the same. Healthy baby is most important thing but I'm sure it's a boy your having. Why not get the 3d scan for Extra reassurance??

Skeppers Thu 28-May-15 13:16:22

I don't really want to get a 3D scan done; I find them a bit creepy! grin

However, I am due another couple of growth scans between now and EDD (baby is measuring big, probably because I'm a giant myself) so I'll ask them to have a sneaky check then.

Thanks everyone! I know that it's pretty unlikely that they didn't get it wrong, they are the professionals after all, but you're right- only one way to find out! And yes, a healthy baby is the most important thing.

Halleberry Thu 28-May-15 13:21:56

Lol ... We never got 3d scan done either. We said right from the word go that we wouldn't be getting one of them. We also find them Really creepy. I struggle to look at other people's 3d scans let alone get one myself xx

goodnessgraciousgouda Thu 28-May-15 13:29:42

As others have said, drs are more certain with boys as it's more obvious.

Also, I just wanted to say a massive thank you for not saying "GENDER" instead of SEX, which I see all the time and makes me want to stab something!!!

Teeste Thu 28-May-15 13:30:21

Aww, I loved our 3D scan! We got a sneak peek at his little face and everything - totally fell even more in love! Each to their own though smile

Halleberry Thu 28-May-15 13:35:38

Yeah everyone is different. My brother and his girlfriend had one and it totally freaked me out, but they loved it and had it framed. I can't even look at it lol xx

Skeppers Thu 28-May-15 14:05:46

Ha ha, goodness- in my line of work I have to be very careful about the correct use of 'sex' and 'gender'! It's been hammered home. wink

Skeppers Thu 28-May-15 14:08:29

Teeste I just think that most babies look pretty grim until they're a few weeks old, to be honest, let alone when still in the womb! grin

Teeste Thu 28-May-15 14:54:52

I'd post a pic as proof of cuteness but I'd freak half the people on this thread out, so I won't grin

Picklesauage Thu 28-May-15 15:18:02

Well I know the title of this scan is technically incorrect. However it did help us!
We couldn't find out the sex at 20 weeks (uncooperative baby) and really wanted to know. I didn't want an all singing all dancing,3D, with music and celebrity voiceover scan. I just needed to know boy or girl! So we went to babybond who do a scan called 'just a gender scan'
It was £35 and told us what we needed to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now