Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch Marks

(9 Posts)
MrsAllister Tue 26-May-15 15:40:29

When I was pregnant I was so terrified of getting stretch marks and I used 4 creams and oils 2-3 times a day. (Bio oil, Palmers tummy butter, Palmers stretch mark cream and Mama mio - seriously I know I was obsessed)

I was scared because I am prone to stretch marks, however due to a good skin care routine/ and or luck - I got away with out any. (I also gained weight very carefully)

We are trying for No.2 now and the fear is creping back in, partly because some on my NCT ladies have gotten stretch marks with their 2nd but didn't with their 1st - how many of you got stretch marks 2nd time round but not first? Were you as rigorous with your skin care routine 2nd time around or not due to less time (first child etc.)

Thanks for your help and advice.

Skiptonlass Tue 26-May-15 15:53:43

Luck, basically (or genetics anyway.)

You'll probably be ok this time too. The predisposition is largely genetic (although there's a limit to how much any bit of skin can stretch in a given time.) nothing helps if you're going to have them.
If you're gonna get them you will, regardless of what you put on smile

Sycamore76 Tue 26-May-15 15:57:05

I didn't get any first time but the second time I got a huge one near my belly button as little girl was constantly poking her foot out there ! She is nearly 12 weeks now and it's faded quite a bit ( thankfully ) I used mama mio and bio oil x

MrsAllister Tue 26-May-15 15:58:41

Thanks ladies. I'd never really thought about babies position etc effecting stretch marks... hmmmm that could be why some people get them in 2nd pregnancies and not 1st...

Number3cometome Tue 26-May-15 16:16:31

I got loads with the 1st, none with the second and so far have no new ones with the 3rd (32+2)

Totally down to luck & genetics i'm afraid!

Sycamore76 Tue 26-May-15 16:17:12

It could be . She literally always had her foot there ! I was stretch mark free until 37 weeks so it was rather annoying! Still it's faded now ( still using oil when I am not to tired ).my belly button is a bit battered though :-)

PacificDogwood Tue 26-May-15 16:18:50

Luck and genes.
Nought to do with lotions and potions.

I had 4 pregnancies (2 of them to T+14) and no stretch marks and never used a cream.
It's just dumb luck.

myneighbourtotoro2 Tue 26-May-15 16:19:21

I didn't get any in either pregnancy . Second time around I was extremely lazy with creams and oils . I think a lot of it is to do with genetics.

Dogsmom Tue 26-May-15 16:27:30

I didn't get any with either pregnancies and didn't use any lotions, my Mom hasn't got any and so I pinned my hopes on genes.

I do have some on my inner thighs and hips from my overweight days so thought I may be predisposed but obviously not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now