Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Working with morning sickness

(19 Posts)
dixiedoo88 Tue 26-May-15 10:20:01

Hi I'm 6+6 with my first pregnancy and I'd really appreciate some advice or tips on how to cope with the constant nausea whilst at work? I'm really struggling! Thanks in advance xx

Number3cometome Tue 26-May-15 10:22:17

It's hard work!

I tried to make sure I had eaten before work, took a slow journey in and kept my work bin near to me (not that I needed to use it)

Try snacking on biscuits to stave off nausea and eat what you fancy.

quesadillas Tue 26-May-15 10:22:45

I found that keeping a small stash of biscuits handy helped, sneaking off whenever necessary to eat one. Plenty of water handy was good too, and whatever other drinks I fancied. I told my manager too, and so was able to be a bit rubbish without criticism.

Or if it gets really bad, go to the GP. I know some people have had drugs to help and some have been signed off. I've never had to myself luckily, but if you get really bad, don't suffer in silence.

Cheshirehello79 Tue 26-May-15 15:19:52

I took my pregcare tablets very early in the morning and had citrus fruit with it either orange or satsuma etc ... That seemed to do the magic I'm now on my 2nd trimester and I must say I only felt ill twice ( touch wood)

Skiptonlass Tue 26-May-15 15:33:39

If it's normal nausea, keep sipping/nibbling and get some fresh air when you can. Rest as much as you can too, mine is worse when I'm tired.

If it gets debilitating, go and see your GP. I somehow managed two months of extreme nausea and vomiting at work and it was utterly miserable. I had tablets but they didn't help much, and I was being sick 10+ times a day with nausea so bad I couldn't even look at my screen directly.

I should have been off work!

soundsystem Tue 26-May-15 16:08:38

Eat, eat, eat! I think what works is different for everyone but I found carbs helped smile Also cold fizzy drinks.

geekymommy Tue 26-May-15 18:14:42

I kept a box of bland rice cereal at my desk, to eat when other things were too nauseating.

I got some 32-ounce disposable paper cups from a restaurant supply store, and always made sure to keep some with me in the car and at my desk. That way, if I did throw up, I could get rid of it easily and quickly. If you throw up in your bin at work, you might have to be around the smell for a while, which can trigger more nausea. With a paper cup, you can take it and throw it away in the loo or in a bin outside, where you won't have to smell it.

I wore maxi pads, and took some extras with me. Sometimes I leaked a bit when I threw up, and it was easier if I didn't have to worry about changing clothes after that happened.

I told my boss before I told other people at work, so that he knew what was going on if I had to bolt from a meeting.

Emjones88 Wed 27-May-15 00:07:02

Ditto on the eating, only what you fancy. At 6 weeks I had a terrible week and a half (sorryhmm) never actually sick but continually nauseous and urgey. Bistcuits, toast and crips throughout the day helped steam it. Porridge too, try some porridge before bed and for breakfast/mid-day.

I'm 9 weeks now and mine has generally gone (some hope!) Still bit fussy on food tho, which I never was before pregnancy lol.

Emjones88 Wed 27-May-15 00:07:34

*stem

contractor6 Wed 27-May-15 06:57:33

Keep eating is my advice, and because I kept on being sick often ate to replace what was lost. Stick to mantra its good for the baby. I also got lots of different snacks, small packets of crisps, biscuits and dried fruit to keep in handbag so a good range of different foods should the mood take me. Also got gin gins from h&b which helped for a few weeks.flowers

dixiedoo88 Wed 27-May-15 20:44:55

Thanks so much for all the suggestions guys! I'll definitely try them out and and hope something works! smile

Lunastarfish Wed 27-May-15 22:13:05

Keep grazing on whatever you can stomach (i found belvia biscuits and melon were good gir me)/but if it gets really bad (mine peaked on weeks 8-10), then if finances permit, go off sick for a week or 2 - I really realy really wish I had

scrivette Wed 27-May-15 22:24:32

Do what you can to get through the day.

I ended up hiding in the loos for part of the day, wish I had gone to the doctors earlier as was eventually off sick, in hospital overnight and am still taking anti sickness tablets at 32 weeks.

I wish I had listened to my body earlier on the pregnancy.

Mellifera Wed 27-May-15 22:40:24

In my last pregnancy it was terrible. I was sick after every meal, had to try and constantly eat little bits as a full meal would come out immediately.

I threw up in the classroom once (teacher), thankfully a year 13 class. I swapped classrooms to be near the loo, and had a gap year student with me in all lower classes (taught mainly 6th Form) so I could just run out.

I had to tell my boss a lot earlier than I anticipated (needed the gap year student) but I was determined and it became a routine. Happened about once every working day and once on the way back home in the car (bucket in passenger footspace).

Thinking back now it seems ridiculous, but I was fine otherwise and after throwing up I was ok.
Lasted 18 weeks, after that I was only nauseous for another 10 weeks, until 28 weeks.

I think if i'd gone to the doc I would have been signed off, I lost a stone in the first 18 weeks. I gained it all again, and baby was 10'4 grin
I couldn't let my Sixth Formers down and I could not face being at home and feeling sick anyway.

Do whatever gets you through the day.

Mellifera Wed 27-May-15 22:42:47

PS I didn't wish I'd taken time off sick. I had a half term at home which was exactly the same routine of vomiting. It drove me mad and I prefered being busy and distracted at work.

mumsrthebest Wed 27-May-15 22:43:14

Ginger biscuits, lots of water.

Gr33dyeggs Wed 27-May-15 22:47:20

Another eater here! Bacon butties have been a lifesaver since my bfp. Also ginger biscuits and crumpets. Some people say lucozade is good. Full fat coke or pepsi also helps me but be careful on the caffeine content.

Lots of ideas on the thread. I hope you find some relief!

Bustherb Thu 28-May-15 09:18:23

I couldn't eat anything I just threw it all back up again. I found that telling my line manager helped a lot, meant I could run out of meetings, work flexible etc without it being an issue xx

brokencrayons Thu 28-May-15 10:18:23

Cold fizzy drinks! Little sips every now and then. I loved San Pellegrino lemon and mint flavour. It really helped smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now