Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't stop eating only 8 weeks..

(16 Posts)
Newtobecomingamum Sun 24-May-15 23:49:18

Hi,

I can't stop eating carbs.... Today I've had:

4 jacket potatoes
5 smartie cookies
2 toast
2 rounds of nachos
Sandwich & crisps
1 Singapore noodles
2 Belgian buns!!!

I never ever use to eat like this. Was a slim size 10 and now can only eat carbs. I have really bad sickness but it's more fluid not food that comes up. I can't touch fruit, water, veg etc (all of which I use to love!).

Anyone else like this? Fear I'm going to be the size of an elephant by 9m!!!

WorraLiberty Sun 24-May-15 23:54:40

Have you spoken to your midwife or GP?

That is a lot of food and could lead to rapid weight gain, that may be very hard to shift after the birth.

Have you tried drinking other fluids or distracting yourself when you feel a hunger pang, after you've already eaten?

Ask yourself what's the worst that can happen, if you don't give in to them maybe?

dinoswore Mon 25-May-15 00:02:12

The first 12 weeks are the most active weeks in terms of what your body is doing. You are building a baby! By 12 weeks it will be more or less fully formed and the other 28 weeks are mostly just for growth. Your body is working hard and it knows what it needs. Don't worry - your appetite may well fluctuate and your cravings could change later on to fruit and veg again. During my second trimester, all I wanted was big juicy oranges, and I drank gallons of ice cold water.

badg3r Mon 25-May-15 00:42:32

My appetite was all over the place in the first trimester! That does sound like a lot in one day, but as long as you aren't eating like that every single day I'm sure you'll be fine. Ask your midwife if you're worried. I had a month of only wanting red meat and cheese. Then one day I woke up and the only thing I could stomach was salad. For about a week. DH was devastated wink

badg3r Mon 25-May-15 00:45:26

Fwie if it was me and I was being sick, I would be eating anything and everything that stayed down! I really wouldn't worry. congrats BTW!

NoArmaniNoPunani Mon 25-May-15 06:38:53

I'm 9 weeks and craving carbs like mad. I have to force myself to eat vegetables. I couldn't manage 4 baked potatoes though, unless they were tiny.

oneyorkshirepud Mon 25-May-15 09:11:51

Hi New, try not to worry too much, you body is very busy. I ate v 'healthily' pre pregnancy, mostly veg and lean protein. Now I am eating more carbs and fruit which I would have avoided before. I feel much better for it! It has made me realise that my diet was quite restricted before AND I don't feel guilty about eating now, which is bloody great. I try and keep my carbs wholemeal still and have only put on about 2lb (10 weeks pregnant), not a stealth boast I promise, I think my body just needed the extra scran. So don't beat yourself up too much, maybe try to stick to wholemeal/unprocessed if you can, but I also appreciate that you may well be too tired to cook! Good luck OP.

Newtobecomingamum Mon 25-May-15 09:19:01

Many thanks for all your messages. It just seem that every time I feel sick and then eat the carbs makes me feel better. It's like my body is needing them. I've never had an issue with food as was daily slim. I must stress the jacket potatoes were only small.. But I missed off a sausage roll too lol! Going to try and monitor it, hopefully it calms down a bit. Just wish I could get some veg or fruit in me but the thought of it makes me feel so sick. Hopefully it might change as the weeks go on.

I don't feel so bad now, thanks you for all the comments. X

Rudawakening Mon 25-May-15 09:35:21

I've been the same, eating loads of carbs, I'm 10+5 and the morning sickness is starting to ease and I'm getting my normal appetite back.

flyingsprocket Mon 25-May-15 09:42:14

I was the same until about 11 weeks and then my normal, healthier eating ways came back. I'm 16 weeks now and have put on just under 1kg (it appears to have all gone to my butt though!)

goodnessgraciousgouda Mon 25-May-15 10:17:21

I've noticed since my nausea kicked in, all I can eat until late afternoon is carbs. Even the thought of other food seems revolting.

However the volume of what you are eating seems excessive. Have you tried any other methods of getting rid of the nausea? I've noticed that hard boiled sweets really help (I like the sugar free ones), but have no idea why. Some people say mints work for them.

Also, something I've noticed recently about the hunger - when you get really, suddenly, catastrophically hungry to the point where you feel dizzy and sick....actually if you don't eat, it will just disappear on it's own after about 20 mins. It's fucking weird.

oneyorkshirepud Mon 25-May-15 15:08:12

Just another thought OP, are you drinking enough? I have been guzzling water and fruit juice. Sometimes the signals for thirst and hunger get a bit confused!

Newtobecomingamum Mon 25-May-15 15:19:44

Hi, thank you do much for messages and advice. I'm drinking small amounts but fluid is a trigger for my sickness. I never throw food up just seems to be whatever I drink. Haven't eaten anything near what I consumed yesterday, compared to today.

Feeling awfully low and down (like the other poor sufferers on here) with feeling so sick, being sick, having no energy to do anything and can't see any light at the mo as I had HG for about 6m last pregnancy (although I don't feel as awful yet but it gradually built up and day by day I feel worse so expecting it to hit me any day). Feel guilty I can't play with my son and feel so much guilt feeling that I am constantly moaning when I should be over the moon I'm pregnant.

I try to think positive, but everything feels so crap at the moment sad((

NoArmaniNoPunani Mon 25-May-15 16:48:16

I feel for you, it's really tough. This is my first pregnancy and I didn't realize how hard the first trimester would be.

blowinahoolie Mon 25-May-15 16:52:00

I have been like that OP and still like that at 27 weeks pregnant.....

Was like that all through my other two pregnancies, just ate and ate and ate.

Bristolian1 Mon 25-May-15 17:12:05

New I've been just the same since about 7 weeks (10+3 now), usually eat mostly fruit/salad/protein with the odd treat and was (!) a lovely 'small' size 12 pre pregnancy. Now all I eat is potato waffles and buttered toast in huge quantites - I'm sure I've eaten carbs to rival your list on some days!
Don't beat yourself up over it - I'm just hoping that the second tri is going to be full of lovely healthy food, but if it isn't then we won't be pregnant forever and there's plenty of time for salad later!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now