Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to worry about reduced movements?

(27 Posts)
Foreverworried Fri 22-May-15 19:11:33

30 weeks and hardly felt baby move today. I've listened to her heartbeat at home three times and it's around 154bmp so in keeping with what it should be.

I feel silly panicking because I have felt her, just not as much, and her heartbeat seems fine. I wad diagnosed with anxiety last year following the death of a loved one, and that anniversary is coming up this weekend, so I don't know if all this is anxiety related iyswim?

If I did go to hospital, I'm guessing all they would do would be to monitor her heart rate anyway, which I've already done, so it seems like a waste of time. Arghh, can't stand all this worrying sad

YouMakeMyHeartSmile Fri 22-May-15 19:18:53

I would get checked out, even just for peace of mind. Midwives always say not to rely on home fetal dopplers. I'm sure everything is fine but better to be safe.

babyiwantabump Fri 22-May-15 19:21:11

Go to the hospital - listening in with a hand held Doppler yourself can be dangerous and give false reassurance . You will need a proper monitoring and a ctg trace to rule out any problems .

babyiwantabump Fri 22-May-15 19:22:13

It is never a waste of time - and the midwives will not think you are wasting their time either.

Whatabout Fri 22-May-15 19:22:27

Call them and tell them you are worried. They will put you on a ctg which will look at heart beat and if you are contracting. Listening at home isn't a good measure of checking baby is ok if you have reduced movement

Have a look at cbt, it might help you feel more in control. Apologies if you already have.

sshapplecartitisallokay Fri 22-May-15 19:24:25

My midwife stressed endlessly the importance of foetal movements and to get in touch about any reduced movement. It is probably fine but they won't think you are silly at all for getting in touch.

Ducky23 Fri 22-May-15 19:24:30

Go and get it checked. You shouldn't rely on a home Doppler if you are worried.

Hospital will monitor heartbeat, movements and any contractions.

Go in and get checked. It's what they are there for smile

WeSailTonightForSingapore Fri 22-May-15 19:25:36

Yes, worth checking out in hospital if you are worried.

S2b16 Fri 22-May-15 19:33:15

I went about a week ago, I'd felt baby just not as much, also heard him on doppler, so I wasn't too worried but wanted to be safe. They put me on monitor and he went crazy, kicked more than usual and he carried on all weekend, the midwife said to always go no matter what your change in movements is. I kept apologising and she said they'd rather see a hundred women where nothing is wrong but mum got checked out than 1 where she done nothing and baby wasn't happy. I Wouldn't hesitate to ring for advice and go if they recommend you too xxx

Iggi999 Fri 22-May-15 19:38:47

They may scan you if the movements don't pick up while you are there. A Doppler at this stage in pg is rubbish as (sadly) if there is a problem the heart will be the last thing to stop sad Sorry if that sounds scary I just would always go to the hospital - I was a regular and the midwives never made me feel bad. It must be horrendous for them too if they see someone when it's too late. Icy water, a change of position can all help. The count the kicks website gave me lots of advice.

MadameJosephine Fri 22-May-15 19:48:47

Please call your midwife or maternity unit. I guarantee they would rather you went in with a baby that turns out to be fine than not and something happen to your baby. Half an hour or so on a CTG should tell them if your baby is ok, it will give them so much more info about baby's well being than a Doppler

Here's some great advice from count the kicks Facebook page

m.facebook.com/ukcountthekicks/posts/10152817338493016

ARV1981 Sat 23-May-15 09:00:32

Call and get help, if you haven't already.

My sister did, got told she'd wasted their time. Two weeks later her baby stopped moving again, was frightened to go in so left it a day. When she finally made it in to be checked, her baby had died.

I believe the first visit was necessary, and she shouldn't ever have been told she'd wasted their time. I know that stopped her seeking help when she needed it the second time - who knows, if she'd gone in a day earlier they may have been able to induce/emcs her and she could have a beautiful 3 year old now, instead of a grave.

Do not panic by what I've just told you. Your baby is still moving, and what happened to my sis is incredibly rare. Just get help if you need it.

Most medical professionals will take you seriously and look after you properly. This shouldn't have happened (they ended up doing a formal investigation as there had been 'too many similar incidences of stillbirth' at the hospital that year - I believe someone got struck off - I hope it was the c-word who put my sis off from getting checked out.)

I'm having my baby at the same hospital and if anyone says I've wasted their time over my concerns, I'll rip them a new one!! If anything feels remotely off for me, I'll be there getting checked out. It's so important. Get help.

MadameJosephine Sat 23-May-15 11:03:39

So sorry to hear about your sister's loss ARV1981 flowers you are so right, it is not a waste of anybody's time and she should never have have been told it was!

Justusemyname Sat 23-May-15 11:14:50

A change in movements, either way, should ALWAYS be checked out. Your love and concern for your baby comes before feeling like you are bothering the midwives. IT'S THEIR JOB!!!

Holden10 Sat 23-May-15 12:09:15

You've been told this by everyone else on this thread but it's too important and you absolutely must get checked out!!!

batfish Sat 23-May-15 13:23:51

I read something that said for a baby in distress the heartbeat is the last thing to go so although I am sure everything is fine with your baby you shouldn't rely on being able to hear the heartbeat. There is a good reason that we are told to report any unusual changes in movement and who cares if midwives ever think or say that we are wasting their time - I am sure that 99% of them would never say that as will be very used to these types of completely reasonable queries.

Absolutely heartbreaking what happened to your sister and her baby ARV - it sounds like her treatment the first time she sought help definitely contributed to the death of her baby, completely disgusting and the midwives should be ashamed of themselves for making her feel too scared to seek help for a legitimate concern.

Halleberry Sun 24-May-15 13:14:49

So sorry to hear of your sisters loss ARV flowers

Foreverworried : it doesn't matter how often you call them or if they make you feel like a pest or not - who cares what they think. It's there job and they are paid to take care of us all through our pregnancy. Your baby is far more important than what the midwives make you feel like. No matter what the change in movement - if it's different, go and get it checked. Even if you have to go up every week or every day even. Get it checked. I swear I was up at the hospital every week I think grin I often felt like they were rolling their eyes etc but as long as I got reassurance that she was ok I fudnt care. I had a healthy baby girl nearly 2 weeks ago and I'm sure they are glad to see the back of me grin ... You and your baby are more important than their ignorance. Ok sure your baby is fine but go ang get checked for peace of mind xx

Flambola Sun 24-May-15 17:57:36

I had a stillbirth. If you feel reduced movement, go in and get checked out. Do NOT rely on a hearing a heartbeat with a Doppler. You're not trained to use it.

I'm currently pregnant and extremely anxious so I understand how you're feeling but it's better to be safe.

Shootingstar2289 Sun 24-May-15 20:45:23

I feel for you. I am 33 weeks pregnant with babh number two. My son was was so active throughout my whole pregnancy and this one not so much. Some days she is very active and the next not so much!

Your baby is probably fine but I would reccomend going to get checked out even if it is just to out your mind at rest..

I went to day assessment. Little miss still wasn't moving much but the ECG was fine and had a quick reassurance scan which actually showed that she was moving LOADS but weirdy, I couldn't feel it. But I was reassured?

The midwife told me you should feel 10 movements a day but have also been told it's 10 movements in a two hour period.

Good luck smile

Shootingstar2289 Sun 24-May-15 20:48:11

Also, hey won't just check heartbeat with a Doppler. They will use the belts around your tummy for a longer reading and check everything is normal. I had 4 whole at day assessment as although it seemed fine her heartbeat didn't peak much as she wasn't very active while I was there.

ARV1981 Mon 25-May-15 09:33:41

Just to clarify, it wasn't a midwife whole told my sis that, it was a consultant! I think this somehow makes it worse.

The midwives were wonderful when we went in for the delivery, they really couldn't have been more supportive to us as a family (I was there, as was our mum). It was incredibly tough and emotional but really, the midwives and chaplain helped us get through it.

However, I think the chances of it happening at all were increased by that consultant telling her not to waste his time (I guess he'd prefer to be on the golf course or something), but it may have happened anyway. They weren't able to be conclusive as to why it happened.

So, get help if your baby's movements slow down, and don't accept it if ANYONE says you've wasted their time - it's their effing job for Christ's sake!

polpola Mon 21-Dec-15 10:53:08

I felt the baby move for the first time at 21 weeks and I could feel it quite regularly for the whole week. I think I pulled a muscle on my bump 3 days ago and not felt the little one move since then sad I'm 22 weeks and have anterior placenta. Not sure what to do next. Really worried, is it normal to have gaps in movement like that or could I do something bad with pulling the muscle. Sorry if it's silly questions, it's my first baby and not sure what's normal and what's not. Thanks!

IPityThePontipines Mon 21-Dec-15 11:27:33

Polpola - please go and get it checked asap.

CandlesAreBurning Mon 21-Dec-15 11:41:34

Always phone up and get checked ASAP.
Fetal dopplers are misleading and you aren't trained to hear subtle variations as everyone has said. People have been falsely reassured. Hope everything's are ok when you get to hospital

scarednoob Mon 21-Dec-15 11:43:00

I would go in to see the hospital to be sure. but at 22 weeks they are still so tiny that they have loads of room to hide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now