Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thigh fat

(12 Posts)
purplebiro Fri 22-May-15 11:19:59

Bear with me here - it's more of a post-birth question this and it's pretty shallow but I am bored with mat leave and these things come across my mind...

I'm 38+1. Because I have GD and have been eating a very sensible diet for most of this pregnancy I think I have escaped putting on much fat for this pregnancy - if any - my back, bum and arms feel slightly slimmer than before anyway and the bump doesn't feel like it has much fat on it. The one place that doesn't seem to be the case is my thighs - which look much bigger than before and have cellulite and even stretch marks. I've always put weight on my bum, back and stomach before, with my thighs staying pretty slim (relatively, at least) - I wondered if anyone else had experienced this with pregnancy and how easy it was to shift afterwards? I have had a lot of ankle swelling since I conceived (no other pre-eclampsia symptoms though, blood pressure testing perfect throughout, including at my last mw appointment yesterday) so there's a very optimistic part of me that is wondering whether the thigh weight is also fluid retention that I will just wee out once the baby's born...

Skiptonlass Fri 22-May-15 11:32:30

Thighs and bum are basically where you store the fats you will need to support the pregnancy and feeding. It's seen as a healthier fat type than abdominal fat. We've evolved to use thigh and bum stores as a convenient store for when times are harder or when pregnant.

I honestly wouldn't stress. Some will be fluid, some will be fat. If you're healthy and sensible after the birth, it should all get back to normal at some point, albeit several months postpartum. Stretch marks do fade - bio oil is quite good for this, but again it takes a bit of time.

FreeButtonBee Fri 22-May-15 11:35:54

My thighs jiggled by the end of my (twin) pregnancy. I put on lots of weight but the pure fat storing on my thighs was something special. Both cellulite on the outside and a special inner thigh jiggle of pure lard which was really quite special.

I lost it all pretty rapidly including the thigh fat and all cellulite although I do put this down to bfing. I know it doesn't happen that way for everyone but for me, it was the best diet I've ever been on! Thighs were thinner than since a teen by 9mo post birth.

Ankles is defo fluid. I bought some ankle boots online at 8.5mo in my usual size and could not get them near my feet. They were fine a month post birth.

purplebiro Fri 22-May-15 11:38:03

Thanks - having had the GD I am planning on being very unsensible for the first two weeks but after that will be working pretty hard on it smile

The stretch marks aren't too bad really - and they're at the back of my legs so I can only see them in the mirror and anyone else would only see them when I'm in a bikini which ain't gonna happen any time soon anyway!

geekymommy Fri 22-May-15 14:55:40

I'm 31+1. My toddler was poking my thigh fat this morning while I was getting dressed, to watch it jiggle sad

MaraThonbar Fri 22-May-15 15:01:39

I'm sure there was a study published recently, showing that women with fatter thighs had cleverer children. Something to do with particular fatty acids going into the breast milk.

MaraThonbar Fri 22-May-15 15:04:41

Here it is!

i100.independent.co.uk/article/women-with-big-bums-and-thighs-give-birth-to-more-intelligent-children--xytgk1QGox

RolyPolierThanThou Fri 22-May-15 15:47:09

Yes. Thighs fat is where we store omega3 which men don't need to do. Thats why they put it onelsewhere.

I had big saddlebags thighs before pregnancy so I dont think is even notice the difference. Hate em but I might end up with clever offspring.

purplebiro Fri 22-May-15 15:52:01

Awesome!

brokencrayons Fri 22-May-15 17:51:05

I'm only 14 weeks and I've got more jiggle in my wiggle especially my inner thighs. I'm putting it down to less exercise, it's almost like my legs are wasting away, no muscle tone what so ever. :/

Noyoucantwatchpeppapig Fri 22-May-15 18:09:37

I pile weight on my thighs when pregnant. I got loads of stretch marks which are worse than the ones on my abdomen. Again it all goes when bf. grin that it will make my children cleverer.

purplebiro Sat 23-May-15 19:42:23

Explained all this to DP last night - the charmer asked "so...just to check, where does the fluid retention end and the milk fat start?" Cheeky f**ker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now